Help me stop the carnage!

kellyek

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Hi!
I am desperate. I'm losing a hen every day or two. I have a trail cam coming tomorrow (Wednesday evening) and then I'm out of town for four days! I am down to three hens with multiple predators, I think.

I found one hen with just her head missing. Raccoon. The others have left a few feathers from the struggle and I find nothing else. I think it could be a fox. Most opossums leave the body without organs.

I thought they were going missing at dusk. I have an electric coop door so I programmed the door to close earlier in the evening (still after they go to roost). I had four last night. I checked this morning and I'd lost one already.

I have a well-ventilated coop that's 6x6' and 8' high with hardware cloth on three sides plus an oscillating fan. I'm in Dallas, TX and the high for the next five days 101 at 50% humidity. I don't have a run since they have the run of the whole backyard.

Should I keep them locked in the coop (for five days!) until I figure out what's getting them?
Or let them get picked off one at a time?
Or something else I'm not considering?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Heartsick Chicken Mom,
Kellye

I don't think they will survive being in the coop for 5 days with those kind of temps! You DO have people coming over to feed them and give them water for those 5 days, right?

I do not have people coming over. They have food in a treadle feeder, four large watering containers (that are in the shade), and tons of cool shade. Unless someone sat with them all day, I don't see how someone checking on them would help. I've thought of that. I haven't been able to save them and I live there. :(

I don't think locking them up is a great solution either. :/

Hello kellyek.
Welcome to BYC.
A trail cam does not stop predators. Sure it's great having a picture of what's killing your chickens but it won't stop them dying!
At 101 F, I would say you shouldn't lock them in their coop.
The answer is to build them a secure run and cancel your trip.

Yes, I agree the trail cam doesn't prevent their death. Knowing what's killing them might help me prevent it. I agree a run would be ideal in this situation. Thank you for your input!

I would keep them locked up for now.
I see no problem with them staying in a coop that is hardware clothed on three sides.

Even with three hardware-clothed sides and a fan, it isn't as cool as some of the places they can get to in the backyard. I do have a mister but with the humidity so high, I don't know that it would do much good. Thanks for your input and the kind welcome. :D

I do not have people coming over. They have food in a treadle feeder, four large watering containers (that are in the shade), and tons of cool shade. Unless someone sat with them all day, I don't see how someone checking on them would help. I've thought of that. I haven't been able to save them and I live there. :(

I don't think locking them up is a great solution either. :/
Do you have any extra chicken wires at least? You could get a few stakes and just make a quick enclosed run. If the wires stand too short you can use zip ties or something to interlock and stack them to make the fencing higher. You said there are tons of shade so being out there will greatly increase their survival as opposed to being locked up in the coop for 5 days!

Back
Top Bottom