Help missing feathers and looks swollen and maybe infected

chickenlover8969

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 2, 2023
my buff brahma has always had feathers there. is this from over mating bullying or smth else and how do i treat it?

Attachments

• BCDA12B1-173E-4C34-9CFA-803A59649C25.jpeg
    BCDA12B1-173E-4C34-9CFA-803A59649C25.jpeg
    914 KB · Views: 3
  • 1585A2DB-83B8-4731-A02A-932482F37FC7.jpeg
    1585A2DB-83B8-4731-A02A-932482F37FC7.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4E4AC1B6-87AC-49D1-A401-A54E72205EDB.jpeg
    4E4AC1B6-87AC-49D1-A401-A54E72205EDB.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 3
  • B8BDE8D4-F72B-4797-AB7C-09D71292DABB.jpeg
    B8BDE8D4-F72B-4797-AB7C-09D71292DABB.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 3
Yes I agree it looks like feather pecking. Some anti-pecking spray could help if this is the case. The feathers should grow back fairly quickly as long as they are not pecked out more. It looks fairly mild at the moment but keep watch in case it gets any worse and be sure to check for any blood as chickens are attracted to it and will just peck it more.

It looks like feather picking from what I can see. How many birds do you have in how much space?
12 birds the run is 256 sq feet the coop is 83 sq feet is that to small we turned are old pigmy goat enclosure into it when they passed

The common recommendations for space are 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Those are MINIMUM recommendations and they do not work for everyone or for every flock. Birds that are mainly confined are going to need more space than that. Birds that free range during the day may do fine with less coop space at night. But the behavior of the flock is the real determination of space requirements. One dominant or aggressive bird can change everything, can change what worked into what is too small. Keeping roosters in the flock can increase space requirements. Bantams or other small breeds may do fine in smaller spaces, larger, heavier bodied breeds may need more space. Some breeds like fayoumi's, game birds, jungle fowl, are going to need more space, they don't like being confined. So numbers are just numbers, and you really have to judge by your birds behavior and condition. When birds are getting beat up or feather picked it's most often a space issue, or not enough hens per rooster. Boredom and lack of protein can contribute, but most often it's space. If it's only one bird doing it, then you may have a bully, or a very submissive bird that is getting picked on. Try to do some observing, see what is going on. Sometimes it happens on the roosts at dark, and rearranging your roosting layout, or adding some can help.

The common recommendations for space are 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Those are MINIMUM recommendations and they do not work for everyone or for every flock. Birds that are mainly confined are going to need more space than that. Birds that free range during the day may do fine with less coop space at night. But the behavior of the flock is the real determination of space requirements. One dominant or aggressive bird can change everything, can change what worked into what is too small. Keeping roosters in the flock can increase space requirements. Bantams or other small breeds may do fine in smaller spaces, larger, heavier bodied breeds may need more space. Some breeds like fayoumi's, game birds, jungle fowl, are going to need more space, they don't like being confined. So numbers are just numbers, and you really have to judge by your birds behavior and condition. When birds are getting beat up or feather picked it's most often a space issue, or not enough hens per rooster. Boredom and lack of protein can contribute, but most often it's space. If it's only one bird doing it, then you may have a bully, or a very submissive bird that is getting picked on. Try to do some observing, see what is going on. Sometimes it happens on the roosts at dark, and rearranging your roosting layout, or adding some can help.
so do i need more space they free range for about 5 hours aday but do i still need more space

Look and see what is going on. Is it one bird who is doing the feather picking? Are others missing feathers? Are they eating a balanced diet with not too many extras? If there is only one bully, pinless peepers can be used to make it hard to target another hen, but still can get food and water. If several are doing it, they may need more room, or may need to get outside longer. Some breeds can seem more aggressive. Antipick ointments (Nustock, pine tar, Vicks or others) may be used since they taste bad. BluKote can hide red or bare spots, but some may peck at that. I have had good luck with it on my Polish chickens’ heads.

Back
Top Bottom