HELP! My chicks ate layer feed & are in kidney/liver failure!

BreBear

Hatching
Mar 17, 2022
I was out of town when my chicks hatched and my husband fed our new chicks LAYER FEED rather than starter feed!!! All but one died by the time I got home. I came home and noticed the large grains and freaked out!! I swapped out the feed and gave this little gal electrolytes/probiotics by syringe. I also got the egg yolk and syringed.. (She went NUTS for the yolk!) I put the yolk in a small dish and she was slurping it up. First time I seen her eat. She is very lethargic and barely moving.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to help her!?

It wasn't the layer feed, but probably undigestible seeds and grains in the feed that clogged up the babies. They need grit if given rough foods.

Give the little survivor some coconut oil to help break up her clog. Hopefully, she can be saved. Try to get a teaspoon into her. Chill the oil after dividing the oil into bite size bits. It makes it easy to push into the tiny beak. She should respond with a big poop and feel better in a few hours.

I was out of town when my chicks hatched and my husband fed our new chicks LAYER FEED rather than starter feed!!! All but one died by the time I got home. I came home and noticed the large grains and freaked out!! I swapped out the feed and gave this little gal electrolytes/probiotics by syringe. I also got the egg yolk and syringed.. (She went NUTS for the yolk!) I put the yolk in a small dish and she was slurping it up. First time I seen her eat. She is very lethargic and barely moving.

you should take her to the vet this type of accident needs a vet doctor,but if you can’t give her vinegar water(one tablespoon for one gallon of water) you can also give her garlic,onion or ginger to help her digest the food

Last edited:

They likely died from starvation, not kidney failure.

Hi sir I have a question for you
Ma’am.
If the question is why I think this is poor advice, let me answer:
Telling someone to feed a starving/weak chick a bunch of herbs/supplements that have strong chemicals and may actually hurt the chick is poor advice.
The chick doesn’t need spices - it needs nourishment.
I do sincerely apologize if I came off as rude. I’m sure you meant well, but it was not good advice in this situation.

Ma’am.
If the question is why I think this is poor advice, let me answer:
Telling someone to feed a starving/weak chick a bunch of herbs/supplements that have strong chemicals and may actually hurt the chick is poor advice.
The chick doesn’t need spices - it needs nourishment.
I do sincerely apologize if I came off as rude. I’m sure you meant well, but it was not good advice in this situation.
No it’s something else I need you to help me pleasee,

Back
Top Bottom