Help! My hen can’t walk!

Aug 4, 2022
Canada
I checked on my chickens today, and one of my hens was lying on the ground like she was dust bathing. I nudged her just make sure she was ok but then she couldn’t get up. Anyone have any ideas that could help her?
image.jpg
image.jpg

A number of things, from relatively benign to relatively serious can cause these symptoms. Often, feeding some tepid sugar water can revive a chicken when the symptoms are from rapid weather changes or stress or shock. One teaspoon sugar to one cup water.

If this hen is becoming symptomatic due to an avian virus, there will be no improvement.

How old is she? Make sure to give her food and water. If she has become lame or has been hurt, she probably is hungry and dehydrated. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

A number of things, from relatively benign to relatively serious can cause these symptoms. Often, feeding some tepid sugar water can revive a chicken when the symptoms are from rapid weather changes or stress or shock. One teaspoon sugar to one cup water.

If this hen is becoming symptomatic due to an avian virus, there will be no improvement.
Ok thanks so much! I will try that. Currently she is a house chicken who sleeps in a baby crib.
image.jpg

Chicken slings may be handy for lame chickens to get them up, in front of food and water, and to keep them clean while recovering. Here is a thread full of good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

She is at an age when Mareks disease can show up. Injuries from jumping or being hurt by a rooster also can be common. Other reasons for lameness would be poisoning, mold, lead exposure, and botulism from eating dead remains. If you can fix a feed and water station close to her in her basket or in a sling, that might help her get enough to eat. Mareks is something that can only be confirmed with testing or a necropsy after death. In Canada, that would be through one of the vet colleges mostly. Let us know how she gets along.

Chicken slings may be handy for lame chickens to get them up, in front of food and water, and to keep them clean while recovering. Here is a thread full of good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

She is at an age when Mareks disease can show up. Injuries from jumping or being hurt by a rooster also can be common. Other reasons for lameness would be poisoning, mold, lead exposure, and botulism from eating dead remains. If you can fix a feed and water station close to her in her basket or in a sling, that might help her get enough to eat. Mareks is something that can only be confirmed with testing or a necropsy after death. In Canada, that would be through one of the vet colleges mostly. Let us know how she gets along.
She does have food and water in her crib, I will look those chicken slings

Back
Top Bottom