HELP! My hen won’t eat and just sleep, looks very weak and won’t open her eyes

Pics

ml44427

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Hello everyone, my English is not very good, I’ll try my best to explain the situation.
Yesterday morning one of my hens made very big noise and woke me up, then I found the gate is open and she is outside the chicken coop, just near the gate. There are lots of cats in my neighborhood, I think she might get attacked by a cat. But she looks perfect fine then I put her back in the coop. There is no egg yesterday morning(usually she lay one egg in the morning).
Yesterday night, I found a broke shell on the ground inside the coop, and the chicken didn’t not sleep on the second floor which she usually sleep in, then I tried put her back in the sleep area. But this morning when I get up to see her, she is still on the ground, not the second floor. I put her back, and find she is very weak, after one hour, she is still there, the other hen is get up and eating, drinking. She just lies there looks very weak, and keep her eyes shut. When I touch her, she won’t respond, I think it is very serious. Local vet don’t treat chicken and I don’t have any animal medicine. I check her very closely and there is no wound everything is fine. She is healthy and active one, the other hen did not come out even though the gate is open. (It’s a small gate for feeding purpose. The other gate is closed.) I put her inside the house, in a small cage, and I try every thing to make her eat or drink something, she only eat a little bit when I put honey or yourget on her beak. Barely opens her eyes.Inside the house is quite warm. BTW, she just been through moult period, it’s winter here. Today is raining and it’s 14 degrees, not too cold. Please tell me what is wrong, I’m really worried. I only have two hens, the other is perfectly fine. Sorry I can’t upload pictures now, but she looks fine, her comb is healthy red, good feather. She is half a year old now.

Attachments

• C5DFD90E-B24F-47E6-9303-B09ED8737906.jpeg
    C5DFD90E-B24F-47E6-9303-B09ED8737906.jpeg
    669.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1DCC545B-6C8A-4089-9678-DE5072C8E4AF.jpeg
    1DCC545B-6C8A-4089-9678-DE5072C8E4AF.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2948549F-EA79-44DC-988D-E26869AF249F.jpeg
    2948549F-EA79-44DC-988D-E26869AF249F.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 21
  • 029C4497-7CF2-424C-A65F-AADC8011D34D.jpeg
    029C4497-7CF2-424C-A65F-AADC8011D34D.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 18
I am so sorry about your hen! She looks so sweet. She also seems very sick.
Maybe a predator. If I were you I would keep trying to get her to eat. Maybe a treat like cooked rice and ground beef. Hopefully she will be okay. Good luck and remember you can only do so much, it's not your fault if she doesn't make it.

She could be egg bound. see if you can gently feel around for an egg shaped mass. In other words, She may have a stuck egg.

I am so sorry about your hen! She looks so sweet. She also seems very sick.
Maybe a predator. If I were you I would keep trying to get her to eat. Maybe a treat like cooked rice and ground beef. Hopefully she will be okay. Good luck and remember you can only do so much, it's not your fault if she doesn't make it.
Thank you for replying me, I’ll try my best.

She had runny poop few hours ago. Still sleeping, occasionally open eyes for 1-2 seconds. And I tried to feed her yoghourt and honey water by dropping on her beak. Compared to this morning, she seems get better just a tiny little bit. Bucause this morning she looks like dead chicken and won’t respond to anything, now she can gently move her neck to refuse to drink or eat. Is it a good sign? I’m gonna but a syringe at the pet store tomorrow, will she get through tonight? I feel so sad for her and keep checking her every 20 minutes or s0, I am so afraid she will die.. she is a good chicken...

I feed her some sugar water by a suringe, she still won’t eat. I bought her live mealworms she refuses to eat, even though I open her beak and put the mealworm in she will spit it out. Still very weak, doesn’t move much, head keeping nodding when I want to feed her something. Feeling bad about it

Back
Top Bottom