Help! One of the new chicks has it's intestines hanging out!!!

sad.png
I guess I'm not the only one with this same kind of problem today, here I thought I'd be able to take it out of it's misery, where's Dr. K when you need him?
hmm.png

Ether is what they used to put patients to sleep with for surgery. Starting fluid is ether - comes in an aerosol can in automotive. In my mind this is a peaceful way for the chick to go as well as being easier on us. Altho its never easy. Just comes with the territory.

Any news on your chick?

Ok, this is an update on the little baby with it's intestines out, and the one still in the shell. Well, the baby with it's intestines out died before I could work up the nerve to cull it. I felt so terrible for it. My kids were so sad, they were each hoping to have a chick, but it's ok, cause the survivor chick gets twice the love now.
smile.png

As for the one in the shell that wasn't moving, it had died at least a day to two days prior and the shell was broken because the two that did hatch were pretty aggressive about getting out of their shells and they must have pushed it up against the side of the incubator and broken it open. Both babies have been buried out in the garden. As for the surviving chick, it's thriving and is about the cutest little thing in the world! I use my bathroom to brood chicks, and I currently have my nearly 4 week old chicks in a big tub in there, and before I moved the baby to the bathroom I set up a small brooder for it so it would be ready when I got the baby in there. Well the baby was peeping when I walked in the bathroom cause it was frightened, and the bigger chicks were all peeping until they heard the new baby. All at once 15 chicks stopped peeping and craned their heads around to listen more intently. It was hilarious. The new baby can see the big babies from it's brooder and they were all watching each other, it was funny. The poor baby was so lonely though. I'd like to get another chick to put in with it. My 4 week olds are so big, and starting to flutter around and jump out of their brooder and I don't want to risk them jumping on the baby and hurting it if I put one in there. Apparently my kids tried it already while I was at work today, but the chick fluttered back to the big brooder. She chose her Dark Brahma cause it's the most gentle of all the bigger chicks. Gentle or not, it wanted out. I will have to see about getting another chick somewhere else. But that's what happened with the three chicks. I'll know for next time to watch the humidity more closely and to turn more frequently. I think I will invest in a turner instead of doing it by hand. But I know for next time!

:)your not going to believe it!!! but my kids prayed for our chick with the guts hanging out of its rear and the little guy is running around with the rest of his chicky friends, I'm glad I listened to the DW to wait and not put it down.
big_smile.png

I just had this happen and after reading for a while I decided to try and push them back in. I used a wet qtip and held them in for about 5 minutes. I could already see the umbilicus tightening around the edges of the hole. Then I held it kind of pinched closed gently with my fingers and a little pressure for a few more minutes to keep any from bulging out when the chip peeped. The hole was looking smaller so I put the chick back in the bator and hoped for the best. I wouldnt put the chick in the brooder at this point for fear that any exposed intestines might dry out, a moist environment is best. About an hour later I took her out to check and the umbilicus is closed! So glad I didnt decide to put this cute little chick down and so thankful for BYC!

Had a clutch of eggs start hatching, unfortunately the biddie mama was not rotating the eggs properly and would go to other nests. Several chicks hatched fine, then a couple had some intestine out (I know from reading here now it was from not being turned enough...makes sense).

Anyway, I did the wet q tip gentle push the intestines back into umbilicus (not vent area) on a chick and then used superglue to seal the umbilicus. I was very very careful to not superglue my fingers to the biddies while using something to hold the umbilicus together. It worked very well and I just wanted to share that.

I just hatched some chicks today. I have one that looks like it's small intestines are starting to come out. I've given it water and layed it on the heating pad. He's been chirping on and off. I don't think I can bring myself to cull it. I think I'll just let nature take it's course.

I've had that happen before. We took a paintbrush and pushed them back in. Still died poor thing. I think if it happens again, I'll end it quick for the little guy.

Yeah I think mine had a bacterial infection because when he hatched he had a good amount of green substance come from his shell and he never dried off. It was like his fuzzy just started hardening instead :( but hes in a better place now.

Back
Top Bottom