Help. Our duck is breathing weird

I actually thought of Asper. I didn't mention it because nothing was said about her chest sounds. I am going to tag @Jenbirdee and let her tell you how she got her Runner through it. I know she used Oxine ah and colloidal silver.
Another thing she is thinking is maybe gapeworm? Those are the 2 options we are at now. Trying to see what we can do. Thank you for tagging her. Hopefully she can help me

I actually thought of Asper. I didn't mention it because nothing was said about her chest sounds. I am going to tag @Jenbirdee and let her tell you how she got her Runner through it. I know she used Oxine ah and colloidal silver.
and also nystatin. start with Oxine AH diluted 3/4 cup per 1 gallon of water. When you buy the Oxine AH do not buy the activator you don’t use that for this purpose. you will need a nebulizer. I got a small portable one. I attach it to the door of a small dog crate. and cover it with towels it’s best to do 30 minutes three times a day if you can, but I had to get up in the middle of the night to do that so I only did that for one week and then I went down to twice a day , sunrise, and sunset. After four weeks of the oxine AH I switched to coloidal silver in the nebulizer. I also bought a packet of nystatin powder and gave her nystatin by syringe mixed with a little water she for her weight. I’m going to have to go through my notebooks to tell you the dosage on that.

Another thing she is thinking is maybe gapeworm? Those are the 2 options we are at now. Trying to see what we can do. Thank you for tagging her. Hopefully she can help me
I also thought at first maybe my Poppy runner duck had gape and I gave Poppy dewormer for that and I also gave her antibiotics before I realized none of that helped and it was aspergillosis…

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/runner-duck-cough-or-hiccups-aspergillosis.1606047/
that's my thread about Poppy
Here's a pic of the Nystatin
I got it from a pet bird store online
The dosage I used was 1 gram in 1 ml water, orally by syringe, 2x a day for 5 days Poppy weighs 3.5 pounds.
Honestly I dont know if the Nystatin helped at all or not, and it made Poppy very thirsty. she was drinking like a fish. It should really have been watered down a lot more but then I would have had to give her a lot of MLs by syringe t make sure she got it all, so thats what I did
nystatin.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/runner-duck-cough-or-hiccups-aspergillosis.1606047/
that's my thread about Poppy
Here's a pic of the Nystatin
I got it from a pet bird store online
The dosage I used was 1 gram in 1 ml water, orally by syringe, 2x a day for 5 days Poppy weighs 3.5 pounds.
Honestly I dont know if the Nystatin helped at all or not, and it made Poppy very thirsty. she was drinking like a fish. It should really have been watered down a lot more but then I would have had to give her a lot of MLs by syringe t make sure she got it all, so thats what I did
View attachment 3825656
What made you realize is was definitely aspergillosis? We thought at first she was just sick and we just ordered the baytril. And it just arrived today. But Monday night, Tuesday and today she has been breathing like we thought she had something stuck in her throat. She shakes her head around sometimes too like there is soemthing stuck. She doesn’t seem to gasp for air all the time. Seems to start back up when we let her out to forage from the run. We tried a bit of coconut oil to see if anything was stuck and it seemed to help for a bit but she is still mouth breathing per se when she does do it. So we don’t know what is the best option. Do we give her the baytril if she has Aspergillion? Or just the products you said

What made you realize is was definitely aspergillosis? We thought at first she was just sick and we just ordered the baytril. And it just arrived today. But Monday night, Tuesday and today she has been breathing like we thought she had something stuck in her throat. She shakes her head around sometimes too like there is soemthing stuck. She doesn’t seem to gasp for air all the time. Seems to start back up when we let her out to forage from the run. We tried a bit of coconut oil to see if anything was stuck and it seemed to help for a bit but she is still mouth breathing per se when she does do it. So we don’t know what is the best option. Do we give her the baytril if she has Aspergillion? Or just the products you said
i went through same thing with Poppy, gave her Baytril 1st and she got worse. There is a chart from Majestic waterfowl sanctuary and links to aspergillosis treatment with Oxine AH
... antibiotics can actually make aspergillosis worse.

correction, excuse me Im sorry I actually gave Poppy Tylan for 5 days (but then I was going to give her Baytril before I found out about how antibiotics makes fungal infections worse)
I’m gonna take a video of peachy when I get back to the house and post it here. I just checked your feed and I don’t think peachy sounds at all like what your duck sounded like when poppy had aspergillion. We are also going to deworm all our ducks anyways just to be safe as well

correction, excuse me Im sorry I actually gave Poppy Tylan for 5 days (but then I was going to give her Baytril before I found out about how antibiotics makes fungal infections worse)
Here’s her cough/sneeze. She wouldn’t do it very much when I started recording. But you can hear her

We are very convinced now that it is gape worm. She fits into everything that she’s doing. Shaking her head, gasping for air. We ordered “safeguard dewormer for goats.” Someone said on YouTube said thats what they used for their chickens. 2-3ml per gallon of water for 3-5 days and then treat them again in 3 months. Making sure this medicine water is their only source of water during the treating time. If you have any disagreement with this treatment please let me know, but the medicine is coming tomorrow from Amazon so we will start it Friday morning. She is worrying us and we just want to make sure she’s okay. We are also gonna try to ask the on off avian vet in our area if she will check to see if she has gape worm and prescribe us this one dose medicine. We haven’t had luck with the vet before. She basically told us she wouldn’t do anything for ducks unless it was putting them down. Basically said they are live stock and not worth putting the money into them. But we disagree. They are our pets and we love them. So hopefully she is able to help us out this time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom