thebirdhouse83

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
This baby was on day 28 of incubation and had an external pip. Our cat knocked our small incubator off of the counter and broke his shell quite a bit causing him to have some bleeding. I applied a very small amount of styptic powder to stop the bleeding. Then wrapped it in a damp paper towel to keep the baby from shrink wrapping and put him back in the incubator.
The next day this baby had its whole head and neck out of the shell but was very weak and not opening its eyes or anything.
Today (day 30) this baby has just come out of the shell, but still attached, is weak but does have its eyes open

I'm just wondering if there is anything else that I could be doing (or should have done so I know for the future) to help this baby? Is there any chance of survival? Should I keep him in the incubator longer or move to the brooder?

Attachments

• 20220509_090553.jpg
    20220509_090553.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 63
This baby was on day 28 of incubation and had an external pip. Our cat knocked our small incubator off of the counter and broke his shell quite a bit causing him to have some bleeding. I applied a very small amount of styptic powder to stop the bleeding. Then wrapped it in a damp paper towel to keep the baby from shrink wrapping and put him back in the incubator.
The next day this baby had its whole head and neck out of the shell but was very weak and not opening its eyes or anything.
Today (day 30) this baby has just come out of the shell, but still attached, is weak but does have its eyes open

I'm just wondering if there is anything else that I could be doing (or should have done so I know for the future) to help this baby? Is there any chance of survival? Should I keep him in the incubator longer or move to the brooder?
Ig the yolk sack has been absorbed completely there is a good chance the duckling will survive. Do not use wet paper toweling. Instead use a small amount of coconut oil to prevent shrink wrapping. Wet toweling can harbor bacteria not beneficial to a new duckling trying to hatch.

Ig the yolk sack has been absorbed completely there is a good chance the duckling will survive. Do not use wet paper toweling. Instead use a small amount of coconut oil to prevent shrink wrapping. Wet toweling can harbor bacteria not beneficial to a new duckling trying to hatch.
Thank you so much! It looks like the majority of the yolk sack has been absorbed, there is only a small bit of it left.

Sorry to hear about the cat
They tend to hear the chirps and get a bit excited
I keep my bator locked away from all my other pets as my cats would go the same
I noticed you said you wrapped baby in a damp paper towel
Usually that’s not a good thing it can cause them to chill
A dry paper towel is much better
As long as humidity is high in the bator baby shouldn’t shrink wrap ( just a tip for next time or somebody else reading the post
If you wrap it in paper towel then put in a small cup or bowl will keep baby from pushing out of the shell to early
When born with a little yolk again I cover baby with a dry paper towel and put in a small bowl keeping it from moving around to much
The paper towel helps to keep the direct air from drying out the yolk before absorbed
Baby may take 24-48 hours to fully perk up after a stressful hatch
He also won’t need feed or water for 24 hours and may not want it for up to 48 as the yolk fills them up
You can add a little sugar to the water to help boost him if you want after he is absorbed fully and ready to drink
Keep is updated it sure is precious looking :)

I just wanted to update this post, our little wild duckling did survive. I cant thank you all enough for your help in saving this little one.

Attachments

• 20220512_213042.jpg
    20220512_213042.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220605_113732.jpg
    20220605_113732.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom