HELP: Prolapse _?_ on Pekin Drake w/pics and video

Apollos-Quackers

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
When it rains it pours! First a hen was attacked, now our Drake has a prolapse (what?). It doesn't seem like it's the penis, but I don't know what other parts there are in there. I can't lie... it's been a few weeks since I first noticed it. But today it's worse. I have an @$$**** partner that says, "They're NOT (our) PETS:barnie (yet we incubated them, house them, feed them...). Their purpose is to help maintain the pond":he (which the city owns and doesn't take care of). He thinks nature should take it's course.🤬 FYI: West Nile Virus is in our area and the ducks do a great job of keeping the larvae down.

Is there anything I can do to help him without a vet bill? I've looked through discussions here and for YouTube videos, but have not found anything exactly like what his looks like. I'm afraid to touch it - not because I am afraid to - but for fear of causing him pain or doing more damage. I successfully nursed our hen back to health after an owl attack, so if this does NOT need surgical repair, I'm willing to give it a try. I've attached GRAPHIC photos below and THIS VIDEO LINK for observation and feedback. Near the end video, you'll see him pooping from around the prolapse. Hopefully the video link works ok... It's on Google.

Attachments

• 20210429_135951.jpg
    20210429_135951.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210429_135944.jpg
    20210429_135944.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 23
I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your ducks. And the situation with your partner sounds very frustrating.

I have seen a veterinarian wash off the prolapse with sterile saline and gently invert it back into the body. The drake didn't react like he was in pain to the procedure. The vet was wearing non sterile latex gloves. This particular drake had been walking around with his penis dragging on the dirt ground for a couple of days. The penis stayed inside and there were no further problems reported.

Since you can't take him to the vet I would try to clean him and very gently push him back inside. I would stop if your drake seems in distress.

I tried to watch your video, but need authorization.

@Isaac 0

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your ducks. And the situation with your partner sounds very frustrating.

I have seen a veterinarian wash off the prolapse with sterile saline and gently invert it back into the body. The drake didn't react like he was in pain to the procedure. The vet was wearing non sterile latex gloves. This particular drake had been walking around with his penis dragging on the dirt ground for a couple of days. The penis stayed inside and there were no further problems reported.

Since you can't take him to the vet I would try to clean him and very gently push him back inside. I would stop if your drake seems in distress.

I tried to watch your video, but need authorization.

@Isaac 0
Thank you for letting me know! I took the restrictions off... would you mind trying to view it again?

Thank you for letting me know! I took the restrictions off... would you mind trying to view it again?
I can view it now. Poor guy. It looks like he's having some very watery diarrhea, too.

I can see it better in the video, and I'm not sure what the best way to go is - aside from a vet. It looks different from the drake I saw the veterinarian treat. In the photo I thought it was just the beginning of his penis but now I'm not sure. What does it look like to you?

X2 with what Kale has stated. I suggest flushing the area with saline copiously until the whole area is free of any contaminants/fecal matter. Afterward, apply a water-soluble lubricant such as KY jelly to all the tissue, and try to push the tissue back in similar to as you would turning a sleeve inside out.
I would offer electrolytes in the drakes water to help correct any fluid deficits, and also considering starting the bird on anti-inflammatory medications to combat any of the inflammation occurring. If you have aspirin available, you can administer 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight daily.
Stop offering any fibrous treats for the next proceeding few days to help fecal matter pass through the GI tract easier without causing much distress. You may even consider adding mineral oil to the drakes feed in case there is a blockage starting to transpire.

I can view it now. Poor guy. It looks like he's having some very watery diarrhea, too.

I can see it better in the video, and I'm not sure what the best way to go is - aside from a vet. It looks different from the drake I saw the veterinarian treat. In the photo I thought it was just the beginning of his penis but now I'm not sure. What does it look like to you?
I can't begin to guess what it looks like. I've never even seen a ducks penis until I watched YouTube. I have been keeping him confined to the duck yard rather than free-roam and have a large kiddie pool I am keeping clean water in for him to bathe/soak in.

X2 with what Kale has stated. I suggest flushing the area with saline copiously until the whole area is free of any contaminants/fecal matter. Afterward, apply a water-soluble lubricant such as KY jelly to all the tissue, and try to push the tissue back in similar to as you would turning a sleeve inside out.
I would offer electrolytes in the drakes water to help correct any fluid deficits, and also considering starting the bird on anti-inflammatory medications to combat any of the inflammation occurring. If you have aspirin available, you can administer 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight daily.
Stop offering any fibrous treats for the next proceeding few days to help fecal matter pass through the GI tract easier without causing much distress. You may even consider adding mineral oil to the drakes feed in case there is a blockage starting to transpire.
I'm not sure what is or is not fibrous that I feed (First year duck owner. They hatched Mother's Day last year). I feed a duck pellet/sweet feed/cracked corn mixture. I have been keeping him confined to the duck yard rather than free-roam and have a large kiddie pool I am keeping clean water in for him to bathe/soak in and putting fresh shavings in the house daily. A YouTube video suggested bathing them in Epsom Salt for about 20 minutes first then using Vaseline as the lubricant. I don't have KY or Vaseline, but I have a natural/organic lubricant that has 4% Lidocaine numbing cream for human intimate use... Would that work? And the video showed how the duck may push against it once replaced and it comes right back out. Maybe the numbing would discourage that? I made phone calls today for a fowl vet and it's like a week out unless I take him to an ER vet that may or may not have bird experience.:( Where might I find bird anti-inflammatory?

I'm not sure what is or is not fibrous that I feed (First year duck owner. They hatched Mother's Day last year). I feed a duck pellet/sweet feed/cracked corn mixture. I have been keeping him confined to the duck yard rather than free-roam and have a large kiddie pool I am keeping clean water in for him to bathe/soak in and putting fresh shavings in the house daily. A YouTube video suggested bathing them in Epsom Salt for about 20 minutes first then using Vaseline as the lubricant. I don't have KY or Vaseline, but I have a natural/organic lubricant that has 4% Lidocaine numbing cream for human intimate use... Would that work? And the video showed how the duck may push against it once replaced and it comes right back out. Maybe the numbing would discourage that? I made phone calls today for a fowl vet and it's like a week out unless I take him to an ER vet that may or may not have bird experience.:( Where might I find bird anti-inflammatory?
I wouldn't use lidocaine. My avian vet has advised me not to use numbing agents in birds - anything ending in caine. Their bodies process it differently than ours and they can be easily overdosed.

KY is really cheap and you can get it at pharmacies and even some grocery stores.

Bird anti inflammatory medication has to come from the vet, but some people temporarily use human aspirin. Baby aspirin can be easier to dose, I hear. But I haven't used it.

Fiberous treats would be like kale, blueberries, ect.

Back
Top Bottom