HELP!!!! ROO SICK

DixieByrdRN

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
Southern by the Grace of God
I went out to do my evening check on my babies and my small roo is almost dead. His butt had smeared poo all over it and I cleaned it off. His butt is like winking at me but poo wasn't really on his vent, just around it on his feathers. He is almost dead. Eyes closed and barely breathing. What can I do??? Please help if you have any idea what could be wrong. He looks perfactly normal except for the almost dead part. (lol kinda)

oh PS they had knocked their water down so I thought he was dehydrated... I got him fresh water and seperated him and tried to make him drink but he could care less and wont. My otehr chickens look great. He is 9 weeks old Monday by teh way.

Are his droppings normal colored or are they also a different consistancy than normal? If you haven't already separate him, some place warm and dark might be of some help.

How is your chick...well it could be so many things really and this simply isnt enough info to guess at what caused it...
you need to insure he drinks...sparate him and dribble some water along his beak (do not syringe into beak as he needs to swallow it himself or it will get into lungs)...dehydration will kill your bird quicker than what is ailing it
...you can dilute a bit of pediolyte or gatorade if you do not have (bird) electrolytes... give it at a lukewarm temperature
... have you had them on medicated starter? If not then it might be cocci...you need to take a faecal sample to vet and have it checked out....

He died last night. I did seperate him, and tried my dangest to get him to drink, but he wouldn't have any part of it. Should I get some antibiotics to treat the whole flock just in case? They had knocked over their water (I have no clue how they did that, first time) but I am sure he couldn't have gone more than afew hours because I check them often, but I guess being a little guy maybe a few hours could have been enough? Do I need to call someone for a necropsy?

If everyone else looks fine I would not recommend antibiotics. I think they are overused. Your other chicks should be fine, just keep an eye on them. Your chick that died may have had a different underlying internal cause that you couldn't do anything about. It's hard but sometimes it happens.

if your chicks are not on medicated starter you should have a faecal done (incl ample samples)... this will need an coccidiostat and not an antibiotic if this is found to be present...

Back
Top Bottom