HELP! serious feather picking problem

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Just got my first egg 5 days ago... My chickens have always had the occasional peck at each other, some more than others. This morning they were more aggressive then normal and nosier.. When I got home the two chickens lowest on the pecking order and very blood backs near the base of their tails. Its all gory and bald spots and bleeding. There is a really mean leghorn who is most responsible I think. Do I need to get rid of her? Id rather not but then again she isnt the nicest... Can I put polysporin or vaseline or something on it? Im a back yard chickens owner so I only have household supplies/meds that I can use. WHAT DO I DO!?!??! I ALSO HAV NOWHERE TO SePERATE THEM INJURED DURING THE NIGHT.. UGHH

I really need help

I have this problem but no blood. I'd put some blu-kote on her. This will hide the wound & protect the wound. There's a thread here that is called mites lice worms etc. they recommend a product called nu stock. I just dosed mine & hoping it helps. You need to nip this in the bud now.

Once they draw blood they will not leave her alone and could peck her to death. I would strongly urge you to find a way to isolate the bird. There is no way they will not peck at an injured bird.

Use a dog crate or make a really quick box out of scrap wood or if you have any largish cardboard boxes or run to home depot and find buy a rubber maid and a small piece of screen for cheap. Cut a large rectangle out of the rubber maid lid and duck tape down the edges of the screen on the top. Find a way.

You can put neosporin (make sure it is the NON pain relief kind). Do not put her back in until she is fully healed or she will continue to be a huge target.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem, except I have chickens pecking at my turkeys hind quarters. They have pecked a deep hole in one of them. I spent $30 on spray, and it was nearly healed. Then the stupid idiots at the feed store gave my son the wrong feed (TWICE) and they did it again. I am not spending another $30 to heal the turkey again. I'm going to try mixing up a cocktail myself based on the ingredients listed. Hope it works. I am getting ready to go to the feed store myself and complain and get the right feed. I want to kick the chickens right in the head about now. **** cannibals. As soon as they stop laying, they are soup!

I have had similar issues with aggressive hens. I have tried all manner of ointments and such to no avail. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is Pinless Peepers. You can get them at eggcartons.com or randallburkey.com They are very cheap and can be used on all the hens if needed. Here is my flock leader sporting her eye wear...

They are unable to aim, point or use their beaks for any aggressive actions. The bird can only see directly above, sideways or below them. But not directly in front of them. In order to train nasty habits out of them, you will need to leave these Peepers on them for a month or so, possibly longer depending on the individual bird. They do not hurt the bird in any way. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a rooster that has just turned plan *** mean to one hen Lucy, I was wondering if there is some type of concoction I can make that will not harm Lucy, or Rooster Dude but that taste like S**T teach him a lesson.

Thanks

Hi, Questions! Sounds like you got a MAJOR picking problem! I was wondering, does your chickens have a place to run around? I know that a picking problem can occur when they don't have enough room to run around in so they go after each other. Chickens can get angry and antsy if they are in their coop all day, especially those who are not broody (wanting to sit on eggs). As for the picking I once tried horseshoe goo on my chicken's picked feathers and they seemed fine, but I wouldn't do that on the bloodied chicken since chickens will keep picking at a sore spot. Also, since you need to separate the chickens, you might want to expand your coop if you can. I use thick metal fencing on my coop, and placed metal poles a few feet apart to attach the fencing to with zip ties. It works well, but the ties break off so you need to replace them. The reason they might be picking is a lack of protein, and if this is the case take a few eggs, grind and mix them up in their feed before giving it to them. This way they will get their protein and not realize that they ate their eggs. Hens will usually pick if there is a lack of protein int their diet because it gives them what they need. You want to give them eggs at least once every three weeks so you DO NOT make them want to eat their eggs on purpose (it can cause egg eaters if you give them too much). Leave the yolk in the egg when you crunch it up and mix it in since it gives it the most protein, and in the mornings give them some plain vanilla yogurt in their feed. Same as the egg, mix it into their feed with a spoon, some hens will love it and others will not like it. Also, you will want the kind of yogurt that has the active enzymes because it helps their cut be free of any worms, not the artificial stuff. You might want to check for mites, too; they are small and will quickly move away when you look at the base of their feathers (the shaft, which is the white part of the feather that holds the feather to the skin). If you have mites or anything of the sort, check on the Backyard Chicken page on diseases to help figure out what's best for mites if your chicken has them. I hope you figure out what needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom