Help! Watery Diarrhea in Chicks

CharlieBaby

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
For just over a week, my 5-week-old Giant Cochin chick has had very watery poops; before this, her poops were normal. Five days ago, I began Corid treatment for coccidiosis as a precaution, in addition to fresh Purina medicated feed which they’ve been eating since week one. Just today, my Golden Comet is now dropping watery, mucous-y poops; until now, her poops were normal.

Of the other chicks not yet mentioned, my Salmon Faverolles has had runny cecal poop for over a week but seems to be slowly firming over time and my Delaware continues to have normal poop. I have found a few poops with what looks like red intestinal lining; one was a bit stringy. In addition to odd poops, the 5-week-old chicks have been sneezing for several weeks with no other symptoms. They are still lively and seems to be eating and drinking normally.

Mostly, I want to know why the chicks would go from normal poop to watery poop, starting at slightly different times. Also unsure why one chick has had runny cecal poop for over a week.

Could this be a bacterial or worm issue at such a young age? Does it sound like coccidiosis, and should I prolong treatment at full strength before tapering off?

Attachments

• IMG_8205.jpeg
    IMG_8205.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8203.jpeg
    IMG_8203.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8202.jpeg
    IMG_8202.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8162.jpeg
    IMG_8162.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8159.jpeg
    IMG_8159.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8156.jpeg
    IMG_8156.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8155.jpeg
    IMG_8155.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 27
What are you watering them with? Is it possible they're getting nervous about something?

I would probably add apple cider vinegar to their water (the stuff with "the mother") as is has probiotics in it, which will hopefully help. I might be wrong, but it's possible their guts got upset by something and just need to be evened out a bit. Greek yogurt also helps with gut health.

I might be wrong, but it seems like the medicated chick feed would take care of cocci if that was the problem. My understanding is that the problem with cocci is not that they have it, but that they suddenly get overwhelmed with it. These pics seem to be from inside. Did you move them outside?

What are you watering them with? Is it possible they're getting nervous about something?

I would probably add apple cider vinegar to their water (the stuff with "the mother") as is has probiotics in it, which will hopefully help. I might be wrong, but it's possible their guts got upset by something and just need to be evened out a bit. Greek yogurt also helps with gut health.

I might be wrong, but it seems like the medicated chick feed would take care of cocci if that was the problem. My understanding is that the problem with cocci is not that they have it, but that they suddenly get overwhelmed with it. These pics seem to be from inside. Did you move them outside?
Thanks for the insight. I started them on Corid in their water a week ago. Yesterday I tapered down to 1/8 tsp liquid Corid per quart and plan to continue that for three more days unless someone says otherwise.

I tried ACV with the mother for a handful of days but switched to Corid when the watery poops continued. How much ACV per gallon do you recommend? I’ll try the yogurt as well.

Seems like the medicated feed should prevent coccidiosis. The watery and runny poops made me wonder if they’d been infected. Now that another has watery poops, it seems like something may be spreading…?

the chicks live inside but have ventured out for three brief 20-minute foraging sessions, starting April 28. There’s a chance they picked something up then, as we do have other birds. However, the Giant Cochin already had watery poop by that point. I guess there’s a small chance we cross contaminated on our clothes or shoes, but I hope not.

They’re not stressed chicks. The only possible explanation I can think of outside of infection or naturally falling on the runny side is most of the pictures we’re taking mid-morning. Maybe they hadn’t had as much food at that point and their stools didn’t have time to bulk up…?

Outside of ACV, yogurt, and finishing a round of Corid, I’m going to assume the poop is no cause for concern unless someone gets noticeably lethargic.

Thanks for the insight. I started them on Corid in their water a week ago. Yesterday I tapered down to 1/8 tsp liquid Corid per quart and plan to continue that for three more days unless someone says otherwise.

I tried ACV with the mother for a handful of days but switched to Corid when the watery poops continued. How much ACV per gallon do you recommend? I’ll try the yogurt as well.
For ACV, I put 2 tbsp/gal. If my birds are just "off" I also add 2 tbsp/gal raw (local, if possible) honey.

Seems like the medicated feed should prevent coccidiosis. The watery and runny poops made me wonder if they’d been infected. Now that another has watery poops, it seems like something may be spreading…?
So, medicated feed is supposed to make it so they don't get overwhelmed by the coccidiosis. It doesn't prevent it, as they probably already have it in their guts. It's like salmonella, it's not "being present" that is a problem. It's "overwhelming everything else". That being said, there's a bunch of stuff that can cause watery poop. None of the pictures show any bright green, so it seems like your birds are absorbing the nutrition... Which is good watery poop is still not good.
the chicks live inside but have ventured out for three brief 20-minute foraging sessions, starting April 28. There’s a chance they picked something up then, as we do have other birds. However, the Giant Cochin already had watery poop by that point. I guess there’s a small chance we cross contaminated on our clothes or shoes, but I hope not.
Yeah, its possible... But I agree it's unlikely.
They’re not stressed chicks. The only possible explanation I can think of outside of infection or naturally falling on the runny side is most of the pictures we’re taking mid-morning. Maybe they hadn’t had as much food at that point and their stools didn’t have time to bulk up…?
Typically chickens eat a bunch before bed. One of the things to check in chickens is that their crop is full before bed, and empty after they wake up. Their poop shouldn't be watery from lack of food.
Outside of ACV, yogurt, and finishing a round of Corid, I’m going to assume the poop is no cause for concern unless someone gets noticeably lethargic.
So... I know this is going to sound crazy, but if you switch from medicated chick food to unmedicated chick food, you can ferment your food, and that makes the probiotics not a problem anymore. Or, if that idea doesn't appeal, you can just buy unmedicated food to ferment while your chicks are still on medicated food. You should not ferment medicated food.
Here's a link to a decent website on fermenting your food:
https://homesteadandchill.com/fermented-chicken-feed/

I don't know why your chicks have watery poop. I can tell you it's not good, and that it should stop. I give ACV for a few days when needed, and I haven't needed it since I started handing out fermented feed (my flock gets it once or twice a week).

Sorry I can't be more help.

For ACV, I put 2 tbsp/gal. If my birds are just "off" I also add 2 tbsp/gal raw (local, if possible) honey.

So, medicated feed is supposed to make it so they don't get overwhelmed by the coccidiosis. It doesn't prevent it, as they probably already have it in their guts. It's like salmonella, it's not "being present" that is a problem. It's "overwhelming everything else". That being said, there's a bunch of stuff that can cause watery poop. None of the pictures show any bright green, so it seems like your birds are absorbing the nutrition... Which is good watery poop is still not good.

Yeah, its possible... But I agree it's unlikely.

Typically chickens eat a bunch before bed. One of the things to check in chickens is that their crop is full before bed, and empty after they wake up. Their poop shouldn't be watery from lack of food.

So... I know this is going to sound crazy, but if you switch from medicated chick food to unmedicated chick food, you can ferment your food, and that makes the probiotics not a problem anymore. Or, if that idea doesn't appeal, you can just buy unmedicated food to ferment while your chicks are still on medicated food. You should not ferment medicated food.
Here's a link to a decent website on fermenting your food:
https://homesteadandchill.com/fermented-chicken-feed/

I don't know why your chicks have watery poop. I can tell you it's not good, and that it should stop. I give ACV for a few days when needed, and I haven't needed it since I started handing out fermented feed (my flock gets it once or twice a week).

Sorry I can't be more help.
I like the idea of fermenting feed. I’ve noticed that my chicks loooove it when I moisten their Purina medicated layer crumble. I’m hesitant to take them off the medicated feed because they’ll be mingling with other chickens soon enough and will probably need protection against coccidiosis, but I love the idea of offering fermented feed as a treat or probiotic supplement. Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom