HELP! What am I doing wrong?

Southern Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
NorthWest Florida
barnie.gif
I am so upset!! I have had 5 grow to a chick, but they never peep! I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have my new thermometer/hygrometer, and it's very humid in there. I have taken the water out 'cause the RH was 80! I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong! I just hate that I am killing these little guys.
hit.gif

I am incubating in an electric skillet! I know it's strang, but I couldn't afford an incubator and really want to hatch some chicks. I am in the process of making a new incubator out of a styrofoam box. I just haven't gotten all the parts for it yet. Why will they grow and not peep? They don't even break into the air cell before they die!
I just want to give up on this frybator 'cause I don't want to kill anymore of them. I have 10 eggs in there now and they are due April 12th. Maybe if it's too humid they can't come out of their shells. Please any advice would be great.
jumpy.gif

Wait- They're due april 12th?

They shouldn't peep till about... the 10th or so...

Unless this is a different set...

My guess...and this is just a guess....humidity might be too high. Maybe? Good luck with the styrofoam bator, I built one, but I am haveing a hard time with the humidity as well. I dont think mine are going to makeit....havent candled in about a week..and they are due the 5th!
fl.gif

Part of it could be poor ventilation. That is as important as temp & humidity and people tend to forget that. Once a chick breaks through the air cell, they require more ventilation to thrive and complete hatch.

A styro incubator only costs about $30-$40 at Tractor Supply. I would just go buy one if you want to hatch. Till you spend $20 or so on making one that may or may not work, you may as well have just bought one that will work and you could sell some extra chicks locally to help cover the cost. I recommend the forced fan GQF Hovabator. I've been using them for several years and have great hatches.

Jody

Not sure where you guys are located, but I just paid 42 dollars for a still air little giant without the egg turner or fan. Wow, I wish I could have gotten mine for $30. That would have been nice. Guess things just cost more here, chicken stuff anyway.
I agree with you though. By the time you build one that may or may not work, you can buy one.

marie

Quote:
Jody,
I never thought of the ventilation. It's an electric frying pan that I am using. It holds the temp great, but there is no air movement of any kind. I am in FL and our TSC charges $41.23 and the prices go up from there. A forced air one runs $75.00! I am not working now that why I started this project, but it's not working out for me.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom