HELP what went wrong???

afishel

Songster
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Spencer, Ind
Help !! today I went out to check on my broody girl and her 7 eggs as always! We are on day 19!

I go out and insepect to ensure no one else has added any eggs to her clutch and just to glance at eggs any chance I get LOL!!!
this evening I went out and found this one egg due to hatch tuesday!!
Here is what I found was there possibly something wrong with this chix and she knew it or what? I dont know y this was done!

None of my other girls EVER mess w/ the eggs they lay with her and add eggs to her clutch but never had this!! HELP

63221_chix_008_sm.jpg

I brought the egg in put it in bator w/ sponges an wet paper towel over the membrane went back to inspect and there was NO movement!
Do you see anything wrong??

63221_sm.jpg

does the hole near the umbilical close up once the chix takes in the yolk or is this the problem?
63221_chix_012_sm.jpg

sorry for all the ?? but this is 1st time for me and it puzzles me and makes me sad

Sorry to see this, we think just cause they are broody they will be good mothers. I had one who would set and set and set, then she started eating them or someone was i never did catch them. Maybe she heard it chirpping. The cord comes off when they are born there will be no yolk left. To me this chick looks a few days younger than 19 days? Did you save the others?

Rhonda

Looks like the chick died in the egg prior to day 19. Anytime other hens have access to a broody's nest there is pushing and shoving and the possibility of broken eggs. Broody hens do best in complete privacy.

Rhonda & Sourland

The rest of the eggs are just fine Although I did not take them away from her! I am worried that if I take them away from her and incubate them that when they are big enough the rest will not accept them!? Is this DUMB LOL this is my first time hatching chix
and I don't know how well I could mix them?
I dunno what exactly to do I want to have 1 flock i do not want to build another coop!

So now another egg on day 19 has been crushed !
hit.gif
th.gif
he.gif

I can't believe this
This time there was another sharing the nest laying an egg! I brought this baby in and wrapped it in bator also so we will see what happens this chick was on day 19 and due wednesday

So now I have brought my broody in the house with the other 5 eggs left.

Back
Top Bottom