Help - why is this swelling?

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I just checked my ducks feet a week ago at most for bumble and they were all clear. Just now I noticed my Duclair Rosie holding up her foot and I found that her middle toe is all swollen. There's no scab, and no sign of injury. Yesterday she was walking just fine. I just lost two ducks after Christmas and I do not want to lose this girl - she is my favorite. If anyone has had experience let me know.
20230221_145120.jpg

I just checked my ducks feet a week ago at most for bumble and they were all clear. Just now I noticed my Duclair Rosie holding up her foot and I found that her middle toe is all swollen. There's no scab, and no sign of injury. Yesterday she was walking just fine. I just lost two ducks after Christmas and I do not want to lose this girl - she is my favorite. If anyone has had experience let me know. View attachment 3412111
Sorry to hear you lost two of your ducks :hugs
I haven't experienced this personally, so I'm just brainstorming, do you think it's possible she could have broken or fractured her toe? If the swelling appeared pretty fast, I'm thinking thats maybe a possibility. Not sure if it could be bumble, sometimes you do get bumbles without scabs, but I'd wait for more opinions.

I soaked her foot in epsom salts and looked at it with a magnifying glass. I saw a tiny bubble/clear scab - very tiny, but guessing that's where infection got in? Must be bumble, or some infection :(. I am going to put PRID on it tonight before bed and take a fresh look tomorrow, but will treat it like bumblefoot for now I guess. I'm kind of alarmed about how fast it came on and how swollen it is already. Thanks for the input.

I soaked her foot in epsom salts and looked at it with a magnifying glass. I saw a tiny bubble/clear scab - very tiny, but guessing that's where infection got in? Must be bumble, or some infection :(. I am going to put PRID on it tonight before bed and take a fresh look tomorrow, but will treat it like bumblefoot for now I guess. I'm kind of alarmed about how fast it came on and how swollen it is already. Thanks for the input.
Do you have drawing salve ? I just had one that had 2 little dark scabs. No swelling and saw it by accident
I soaked in Epson salt them out the salve on and wrapped it. In 2 days Both scabs come off and no infection under them
I’m now spraying a few times a day with the silver to be sure
Here is the pic of when I found it

Attachments

• B8DDBB1A-79E6-429E-802D-1ED52CA97CCC.jpeg
    B8DDBB1A-79E6-429E-802D-1ED52CA97CCC.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 2
Do you have drawing salve ? I just had one that had 2 little dark scabs. No swelling and saw it by accident
I soaked in Epson salt them out the salve on and wrapped it. In 2 days Both scabs come off and no infection under them
I’m now spraying a few times a day with the silver to be sure
Here is the pic of when I found it
That's great - yes, PRID is a drawing salve, so I will start with that! Thanks

Thank you so much!! I'll keep you posted. I'm going to be done with duck keeping if she doesn't make it through this - it's just too hard!

Thank you so much!! I'll keep you posted. I'm going to be done with duck keeping if she doesn't make it through this - it's just too hard!
I’m on month 3 with my one girl and 2000 in vet bills
4 sets of antibiotics
She has vent gleet from her urethra and another area
My vets eventually sent us to avian
We have done blood tests twice
X-rays once
Poo testing twice
And now fungal and bacterial testing on the actual gleet
Still waiting on the fungal
She showed bacterial in her intestine. Did 2 rounds of meds
Then the gleet showed 4 elevated bacterials so now on amoxicillin for one and baytril for 3 of them
Day 8 of meds and the gleet build up is still happening daily. I have no idea how this girl is still going
She has laid an egg daily through all of this. Even though I throw them away
Cause we can’t eat them
But I’m loosing hope and find myself in tears a lot worrying we will never get answers and she will never get better
She is such a sweet girl it’s breaking my heart

Back
Top Bottom