Help with building my nesting part of coop!

childrenschicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
West Michigan
Now that I see people asking all types of questions I feel much more comfortable asking my question!
I have not started building my coop as I am a HUGE planner. I have done a lot of research (and found many different opinions- which I understand that's a gimme!) I am just looking for a few opinions as I have found nothing about this!
I unfortunately am currently living in the city and also have 3 young children so for this point in my life I will need to completely coop them, but I also live in Michigan where snow can drop 1+feet in one evening.
Now I have found sq ft per bird in coop and free range (which that is no problem) but I'm confused about during the winter/bad weather when my hens need a place inside and to roost at night. I continue to see these small coops so do they prefer to roost outside and even in cold weather or do I make a larger nesting area? I already plan no matter what to make my outside but enclosed (with chicken wire) large 14'x6'.

PLEASE HELP :)

Some people do completely free range their birds, meaning they eat outside, they sleep outside, etc. However, most people have their birds go into a coop at night (every night), which keeps them safe from the elements and the many predators that love chicken dinners. I use two by fours turned narrow side up for my roosts, and nesting boxes made from ply wood for the eggs. Don't feel uncomfortable about asking questions. That's why the forums and other members are here!
wink.png

Sorry maybe I didn't explain well... I see these small coops but my chickens will need a roosting spot inside during winter nights as I will be closing off the open wire part of coop. Any specific dimensions for this? Or idea per chicken?

I struggled with the same terminology. Here is how I think it works:

Hen house: this is the enclosed house-like structure. It contains the roost bars for the chicks to sleep on. I think the general guideline is that this space should be 4 ft2 per chicken. I have 6 chickens and my hen house is 4'x6' or 24 ft2.

Run: this is the enclosed, fenced area for the chickens to spend their day. Then general guideline is 10 ft2 per chicken. My run is 6' x 10' or 60 ft2. That works for my 6 chickens.

Coop: this is the entire structure. It includes the hen house and the run.

Thank you so much, seeing you seem to know well.. I can have my roosting bars and nesting boxes all in the hen house correct? I don't need my boxes to be closed off or anything right?

Thank you so much, seeing you seem to know well.. I can have my roosting bars and nesting boxes all in the hen house correct? I don't need my boxes to be closed off or anything right?
I don't really know much. I'm pretty new here. But...

You definitely want your roost bars in hen house. Your hen house should be secure against predators and you might want to close the door every night to the run. That way, your chickens can have a safe place to sleep.

OR. You can make your run very secure too. That way, your chickens can have access to the run 24/7. Then you wont have to be there every night and go out early every morning to let them out.

Now, nest boxes are another story. Most folks like the nest boxes attached to the side of the hen house. That way, you don't waste hen house space. But many folks also put nest boxes right in the hen house. I guess it depends on where you live and how often your chicks will be stuck in the hen house. I live in Wisconsin. During the winter, I think my hens might spend fairly long periods in the hen house. So I will probably build my nest boxes outside of my hen house.

Consider having part of your run covered so the hens can come outside in bad weather. Our run is predator proof so we allow our hens 24/7 access to it and keep the food and water there, but we live in S. CA. very different winter weather then you'll be facing. Good luck and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom