Help with my button quail

Milli86

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2024
Ok , so yesterday Friday was day 16 , 4 eggs piped yesterday between 6am- 10am , is now 8am Saturday where I live and nothing, I end up helping one out at 6am just to check are they alive ( this one would need assistance in anyway as it piped on centre of thicker end of the egg not on side of thicker end so it wouldn’t be able to turn and zip out ) I don’t think it will make it is extremely weak.Now do I help others or would you leave it Im not even sure are they still alive . I honestly something like this never happened to me before, I did assisted hatching before but one odd not all .
IMG_4270.jpeg

Id say just wait and see if hatch. Trying to help larger bird eggs is already difficult and risky and if theyre too weak to hatch on their own, they sadly would probably struggle to survive. If you really want to assist them, try one and check if its still alive and then help the rest if it is. You could also make some peeping noises to help encourage them

Id say just wait and see if hatch. Trying to help larger bird eggs is already difficult and risky and if theyre too weak to hatch on their own, they sadly would probably struggle to survive. If you really want to assist them, try one and check if its still alive and then help the rest if it is. You could also make some peeping noises to help encourage them
Hi I decided is over 24h from piping so I end up assisting, got second one out and is looking good is active and strong, first is doing better butt his legs are looking not to good , 3rd is still alive in egg so I did zip line but left it be for now, unfortunately three light eggs from other breeder did not make it , looks like 4th run out of steam after piping, 5th was after all piped and like 4th died in egg after piping, both have yolk full adsorbed and navel looked good , 6th was questionable just before look down and it looks like it quit maybe day 12th .Is my second time hatching button quails , and to be fair I’m regretting not helping after 15h like I do with chickens . I did waited because last time I assisted two out off eight and one died after few hours but it was not formed correctly. Just to add all eggs where shipped, and did have saddle air cells, light coloured eggs much worse than dark ones.

Im glad that the first two are doing better, is splayed leg the issue? I used to have button quails chicks that had it and you can make tiny little splints to correct their feet if its that. The lighter colored ones sound like they may have been overbred and suffered defects so they couldn't develop properly. Sorry about the ones that didnt make it

Im glad that the first two are doing better, is splayed leg the issue? I used to have button quails chicks that had it and you can make tiny little splints to correct their feet if it’s that. The lighter colored ones sound like they may have been overbred and suffered defects so they couldn't develop properly. Sorry about the ones that didnt make it
He/she is moving better but I think is splayed , I was worried about spinal issue. I will try shot glasses method first, and after I will try to do splints . For now I’m only observing as is improving by it self.

Up date
All three survived and doing really good, I give them yesterday water with vitamin b , legs issues in 1 and 3 resolved it self. I’m using my Borotto Lumia 16 as brooder for 3 days sort of like prenatal care unit , set up for 37C yesterday, torn down to 36C over night, and now 35C till tomorrow. I’m posting some photos

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom