Help with predator ID (No pictures)

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
Ugh. It's been a rough month. We lost a young rooster to, I'm guessing, a raccoon. We found him headless and cropless inside an uncovered fence with lots of feathers ranging around. No others were taken. We found a good sized hole in the fence.

Then we lost three bigger ones. Two without a trace and one left a pile of feathers. We also saw a coyote twice very close. All during times they were free ranging. Not sure exactly the times, but all different days.

Two days ago we found a chick (about five weeks old) missing from the newly reinforced fenced area. The fencing is probably NOT perfect, but we were home and all the older chickens were free ranging so I thought the chicks would be safe. But no, one was just gone without a trace. Today we found one missing and one dead. I didn't see any blood or bite marks, but perhaps its neck was broken? Does this sound like a fox? I am just surprised that it would have passed up all the 50 something chickens we have free ranging around to get into a fenced area and go after the chicks. It's very sad. Needless to say we will not be putting anything back into the garden area, barring, perhaps, a good trap.

Not sure of the predator or your type of fence but I would add a perimeter fence such as woven wire so that predators cannot go through. If you can eliminate the "through" then 1/3 of the battle is won (under and over are the other 2/3's). When the birds are full grown then they also have much better chances free ranging. Young birds are easy prey.

It may be something different on all of these or there may be overlap. It’s really hard to tell.

Ugh. It's been a rough month. We lost a young rooster to, I'm guessing, a raccoon. We found him headless and cropless inside an uncovered fence with lots of feathers ranging around. No others were taken. We found a good sized hole in the fence.

A raccoon should climb the fence, not need to make a hole, but all raccoons or other predators don’t always read the same manual. Some do what you don’t expect. I don’t know how big the hole was or what material your fence was made of. The hole may be unrelated? Raccoon, skunk, or some member of the weasel family top my list on this one. Possibly a hawk?

Then we lost three bigger ones. Two without a trace and one left a pile of feathers. We also saw a coyote twice very close. All during times they were free ranging. Not sure exactly the times, but all different days.

My guesses on this one would be fox, coyote, or bobcat. A big hawk or eagle is also a possibility.

Two days ago we found a chick (about five weeks old) missing from the newly reinforced fenced area. The fencing is probably NOT perfect, but we were home and all the older chickens were free ranging so I thought the chicks would be safe. But no, one was just gone without a trace. Today we found one missing and one dead. I didn't see any blood or bite marks, but perhaps its neck was broken? Does this sound like a fox? I am just surprised that it would have passed up all the 50 something chickens we have free ranging around to get into a fenced area and go after the chicks. It's very sad. Needless to say we will not be putting anything back into the garden area, barring, perhaps, a good trap.

This one is hard. With chicks missing without a trace I put snake at the top of the list but that doesn’t explain the dead one. I just have problems thinking what would kill without leaving a mark and leave it behind. A dog will do that, so is that possible? With your comment on the fence I doubt it. A bird of prey? Just doesn’t sound right. I’d think something small that couldn’t handle a full sized chicken. I’ll take a wild guess and say snake and you or something else frightened t away before it could eat the second chick.

You’ve had a rough stretch. Have you considered getting a dog and training it? That’s the best thing I can think of if you are going to free range. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom