Help with what to do with roosters that can't be eaten?

CaitlinB

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2017
Long post pictures first please help if you can.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Y4wBs

Ok so I've posted on here a few times about my silkie chickens. I was supposed to get 4 blue silkies hens. I ended up getting 3 blue and 4 buff. I called the place I got them from and a new girl switched shipping tags. Some one in Idaho got my order and I got theirs. I was told they should all be girls but it's hard to tell with silkies as chicks. I knew this but I paid extra for all hens to begin with. They said since the chicks had shipped I could send them back and they could replace them but that they didn't think day old chicks could survive being shipped twice so I decided to keep them and cross my fingers. Well I now have 4 roosters and 3 hens. All of the buffs are roosters. I called the place again and sure enough the lady ordered roosters. She had her order replaced and now doesn't need them and the company said just to eat them. I can't do that because they were raised as pets and my 6 and 2 year old will never forgive me if I kill some of their chickens or fluff butts like they call them. I live in an area that doesn't allow roosters but all of my neighbors love the chickens too so I don't have to worry about ever being turned in. Also being silkies they aren't as loud as some breeds so their crowing isn't affecting anyone. I asked my neighbors next door and they had no idea they were crowing five feet from their bedroom window in the morning. I know as they get older I will not be able to keep them all together. Right now 2 are already way more aggressive with the rest of the flock (not humans, they love humans) and unfortunately for them the one other rooster they want to pick on most is my favorite and I'll be keeping him. The other 2 maybe 3 I'm currently look for homes for. The two aggressive ones are buddies and do everything together so I may be able to home them together. The other 2 are also friends. It's like they made their little groups. Hopefully I might be able to keep the nice two. So what I'm asking is this, do you know of any sanctuaries or rescues that take chickens in Utah? Or do you know something I could look into nationally that might be able to help? I'm worried about putting them on KSL or Craigslist for fear they will be used in cock fights or just killed anyways. They aren't chickens that will be good for eating since they are under 3lbs. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for reading this long. I do plan on adding more hens in the spring if I keep 2 of the roos. And I will be separating the boys from girls until I do have more hens.

Finally figured out how to post pictures here from my phone. Here are my boys.

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_153048.jpg
    IMG_20171020_153048.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20171020_152905.jpg
    IMG_20171020_152905.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20171020_153036.jpg
    IMG_20171020_153036.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 21
I love them so much and they are so sweet. I'll have to post a video if I can figure out how. But Ragnar seems to have a thing for beating up Siv. He doesn't do it all the time but when he does I'm afraid he will hurt him. Siv doesn't try to fight back at all but Ragnar won't stop until he's happy. Siv has been my favorite since day one. He's the friendliest and he used to be the biggest but now not so much. We have a bond too, he comes when ever he is called and let's me pick him up no argument. I'm keeping him for sure. Ragnar is my most beautiful one. He looks just like the show birds they have at the fair every year. Ragnar and Rollo are best buds but Ragnar is definitely dominate. Lagertha is my dominate female and my only black silkie. She doesn't take crap from Ragnar and I think that may be the only reason he is nice to the girls. She will kick the crap out of him but shes also bigger. They all hatched the same day too so their size difference confuses me. Do you think some of them aren't getting enough to eat or is this just genetics? Sorry so rambling. I love my flock and just want the best for them.

Can't eat them my son would die. He loves them all so much but finally understands why we can't keep them all.

Back
Top Bottom