Help.....Woodpecker! :(

bird sitter

Songster
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
The great state of Texas!
Ok, so I was out at the chicken coop putting my new chickens in an enclosed pen when I heard a squirrel in the tree above so I got my gun. I shot at it and I shot a woodpecker instead! Poor thing nosed dived into the creek bed and theres a tree thats sorta out of the ground in the creek and he nestled under it. I then worked the tree out of the ground ( note that the tree was in a creek so its easy to pull out). I picked him up and he bit down and held on to my thumb and screamed non-stop until we got to the coop! He/ she is now in a cat kennel and i'm feeding him mealworms.

Anything else I need to know or do? I can't get him to drink water and I know he's got a wound, but I know it's not super bad because there's not any blood dripping.

Can you find a wild life rescues!!!! Keep him warm, they need to be warm before they eat, ummm like in the 80s heat lamp, but he is going to need meds (infections can set in) look in the yellow pages or call non emergency police they might have a place to send the bird.

I would put it outside tomorrow morning and see if it flies away, if it does it should be fine. If not contact a wildlife rescue organization to rescue the bird.

Back
Top Bottom