Help!

madisonn_02

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2021
I got multiple baby ducklings two days ago from a feed store. Their all eating and drinking and doing perfectly fine except one. He is a baby black runner. The thing with him is he won’t eat unless I make him get up and go to the food. He won’t even eat it unless it put some in their water, and even then he doesn’t eat much. I have put nutridrench in their water since I got them. I have visibility noticed that he has gotten weaker since the day I got him. What else can I do to make sure this baby starts eating?

Unfortunately, oftentimes there may be a runt out of the shipment, that may have not absorbed as much yolk, or became dehydrated through shipment; both of which can be very hard on a bird that size. Due to the fragility of ducklings, we are limited to the amount of supportive care we can provide, but it sounds like you are on the right track to treatment.

Dripping a drop or two of a poultry vitamin along the duckling's bill every day, or scrambling up some mashed scrambled eggs and offering to it may help improve its condition. One must ensure the duckling is not getting bullied by its other flock mates and is getting adequate amounts of heat. Weighing the duckling on a gram scale is a good way to determine whether there is active weight gain or not.

Unfortunately, oftentimes there may be a runt out of the shipment, that may have not absorbed as much yolk, or became dehydrated through shipment; both of which can be very hard on a bird that size. Due to the fragility of ducklings, we are limited to the amount of supportive care we can provide, but it sounds like you are on the right track to treatment.

Dripping a drop or two of a poultry vitamin along the duckling's bill every day, or scrambling up some mashed scrambled eggs and offering to it may help improve its condition. One must ensure the duckling is not getting bullied by its other flock mates and is getting adequate amounts of heat. Weighing the duckling on a gram scale is a good way to determine whether there is active weight gain or not.
thank you !

Back
Top Bottom