HELP!!

lillylsj

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
NOLA
i recently got some fertilized eggs and none of my chickens will go broody!
he.gif
I can't afford an incubator either. i was told i can keep them inside for a max of 10 days, but time goes by way too quickly! What should I do???
hu.gif

Go to Graig's list in your area and see if someone close to you is offering chicks for sale that they hatched and ask if they do custom hatches. or look for used incubators on there...sometimes you can get them cheap...my neighbor got one for $15.00. It didn't have a turner but they made do with it. ~Charm1704

I made an incubator. I got one of my smaller fish tanks, wrapped the outside in bubble wrap, put some chicken wire at the bottom, draped wet washcloths against each side to keep humidity up, made a cardboard lid that flips up for easy egg turning and cut a hole in it for the light and put a thermometer inside.

its work, but it saves you money.

best of luck.

I think chickens have an innate sense about when to go broody. Once the conditions are perfect it will trigger whatever it is that makes them go broody, and even in the right temperature not all breeds are prone to going broody. I would just eat your eggs for now and wait until it's closer to the Spring time to try and hatch any.

I got my chickens from Meyer Hatchery and they have a little bit of information about each bird they sell. In that bit of information it explains how often, if ever, that breed goes broody. So you might want to check around and see if your breeds are likely to go broody or not.

According to Meyer they said silkies will go broody. I didn't see any info there on seramas. Might just need to google it.

Back
Top Bottom