I am so close to finishing my guinea tractor! Two more perches because they are still small, and install the feeder and waterer. I am going to make my own feeder, but for now i will use the one i have to get them in there. Last night something popped open one of the latches, luckily i had one on each side. I am thinking it was a raccoon. And something had nibbled at the latch on the other side, the wood had the paint worn off. After supper i am going to try to get them moved to the new tractor. I decided to make a low cart on four wheels that i can use to move other cages i make rather than put the wheels on this "tractor".
When i attach a metal roof, i sometimes use roofing nails because i have a lot of them. I am sure you can buy nails or screws designed to do the job, but i don't like nails since a gust of wind at the wrong angle over time can pull them out. So i use a combination of roofing nails and one inch nails passed through a washer with a small hole in it. The threads in the screw help keep it intact better than straight nails. And the washers help keep the screw heads from pulling through the metal.

Yes, generally i use ... galvanized spiral nails when i want to use nails.

You have no idea how many times I've cursed the fella I bought my house from for using those in all of his projects. They hold very well, but it is almost impossible to take apart anything that has been nailed with those without destroying it. I just use screws for everything.

You have no idea how many times I've cursed the fella I bought my house from for using those in all of his projects. They hold very well, but it is almost impossible to take apart anything that has been nailed with those without destroying it. I just use screws for everything.
Sometimes i put a few nails in to hold something since i am working by myself. Then i use screws for the rest.

Use a staple gun to attach chicken wire (or hardware cloth, which ever you prefer) and then cover it with a 1 inch width trim board so you cant accidentally poke yourself.
The thing is, you want to be sure to use heavy enough staples to withstand predators. The ordinary staples for your average staple gun are fairly light weight. I use either poultry staples that are hammered in or the heavier staples with my pneumatic staple gun and compressor set up.

The thing is, you want to be sure to use heavy enough staples to withstand predators. The ordinary staples for your average staple gun are fairly light weight. I use either poultry staples that are hammered in or the heavier staples with my pneumatic staple gun and compressor set up.
I agree. I use a combination of U-nails (as I call them), 1/2 inch staples from my staple gun, and then a board over that.

Never underestimate the strength, dexterity, and sheer determination of raccoons! They are everywhere and eat anything. Getting to your feed, eggs, and birds are like winning the lottery for them and they are addicted to playing the numbers. They will not stop trying and will eventually find one lock unlocked or one gap not plugged. Check every day that everything is still secured, look for holes, gaps, tears, signs of digging. Double or triple up on your locks, in case one doesn't catch, and don't just use more of the same type. If it takes more strength to open than a toddler has and includes something that requires use of your opposable thumb, it's a winner. Be diligent, because raccoons are persistent.

Back
Top Bottom