BauerWFarm

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
I have a blue laced barnevelder that was surprisingly attacked either early this morning or at night….. and I do believe it was by another hen. Her beak is injured up high but not completely broken… in fact she can eat and drink, whew….. but she won’t put weight on her leg and that is we’re all her down feathers were taken, skin exposed, and I believe looks like a puncture hole 🥺🤦🏼‍♀️

I’ve been thru having a hen in ICU for a beak break and successfully made it. I’m just not so sure what to do with the leg injuries and I’m suppose to try cleaning that puncture with hydrogen peroxide or something else. I can attach pics latter….

Any help us appreciated, I have really grown to live the barnevelders because of their personality. The only birds I have of could be bully’s are the white Brahmas that are considerably older but usually keep to themselves.

Hello! Can you post pics? Clean with saline, flush it really good. Then put antibiotic ointment on it. Are you sure it was another hen? It sounds like a predator injury to me, especially with a puncture wound.

Can you feel her healthy leg and compare it to the injured leg, look thoroughly for any additional injuries.

Have her feed in a deep cup so she doesn't bump her beak while eating. Make it a mash if she eats more that way.

Hello! Can you post pics? Clean with saline, flush it really good. Then put antibiotic ointment on it. Are you sure it was another hen? It sounds like a predator injury to me, especially with a puncture wound.

Can you feel her healthy leg and compare it to the injured leg, look thoroughly for any additional injuries.

Have her feed in a deep cup so she doesn't bump her beak while eating. Make it a mash if she eats more that way.
I will do another exam of her leg and beak and get photos…. Thank you so much for responding. I have friend who gave me the brahmas who thought it sounded like a predator as well… I just figured because if the set up that of been impossible to do that much damage.

I will do another exam of her leg and beak and get photos…. Thank you so much for responding. I have friend who gave me the brahmas who thought it sounded like a predator as well… I just figured because if the set up that of been impossible to do that much damage.
Also, no I am not sure it was another hen…. She has always been higher up on the pecking order, very confident…. This just took me by surprise…. You would think it would be one of the sussex it it was bird ranking issues.

You are correct, it’s definitely a predator based off the photos I took and getting a better look at her. As for her care I am at a loss at what is best to do…. As far as catching the predator I have what is needed.

Attachments

• 3FE4EB3B-6E59-4AC4-8789-E9CC1760C998.jpeg
    3FE4EB3B-6E59-4AC4-8789-E9CC1760C998.jpeg
    989.6 KB · Views: 5
  • F12B081D-00B0-493B-820A-F0983B56DA93.jpeg
    F12B081D-00B0-493B-820A-F0983B56DA93.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 5
  • FB72F872-9880-41F6-9BF7-5129F4F6CB92.jpeg
    FB72F872-9880-41F6-9BF7-5129F4F6CB92.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 9A70B53B-E1F9-453F-A824-8CEBCE72198C.jpeg
    9A70B53B-E1F9-453F-A824-8CEBCE72198C.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 95BBF988-AC9A-41D2-8148-73A6ADB42542.jpeg
    95BBF988-AC9A-41D2-8148-73A6ADB42542.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 31A28643-F4FF-4B82-AD5A-C58073497EE0.jpeg
    31A28643-F4FF-4B82-AD5A-C58073497EE0.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 5

After seeing the photos… do you think she could recover or is it better that I put her down? I simply do not know what to do….

You are correct, it’s definitely a predator based off the photos I took and getting a better look at her. As for her care I am at a loss at what is best to do…. As far as catching the predator I have what is needed.
I really am desperate for advice on how to treat my hen…. She is a favorite, if there is a chance it might heal I am willing to do the work

Hello! Yes, she will recover!

Clean her wounds with saline and cover the wounds on her body with antibiotic cream like Neosporin.

As for her break, clean it as well as you can and then feed her with a deep cup so she doesn't bump it.

Do you have aqua mox on hand by chance?

I'd trim the feathers away from the wound, clean it well with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. If kept cleaned and tended to a wound usually will heal fine.
Keep her separated so she's not picked on and on clean dry bedding.

Her beak should heal, but she'll be tender for a few days, wet feed to eat for several days.
Do observe to see that she's drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom