Hen Behaving like Rooster?

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
I have a lovely Golden Laced Wyandotte, Chunker. Although our pecking order has shifted quite a bit, she’s always been near the top, and is now our lead hen.
Before I get to the story, I would like to say that I DO have a rooster, whose name is Charlie. He’s very good at keeping everyone in line, but often pecks Chunker, which is why I’m not sure if he had a say in her being the lead hen.
In any case, Chunker has started pecking our other birds, and while most of it is okay, she’s taken a special liking to bullying one of my favorite hens, Lovelace. Chunker will chase Lovelace any chance she gets, bite her comb so it bleeds, and is even seeming to mount her. It’s weird. Lovelace even squats like she would to a rooster.
Lovelace *is* actually injured- she got bumblefoot a year ago, although all that remains is a rough black scab and a slightly swollen foot. She can move as fast as the any other chickens, so that’s not a problem. She’s right in the middle of the pecking order, although Charlie will peck her a lot if she gets too close.
I’d really like to know what’s happening with Chunker’s new behavior! Thoughts?

If she isn't getting severely beat up (pictures of her injuries caused by Chunker would help determine that) , then leave them to it. From the looks of things Chunker is still reinforcing her new position so a few squabbles are to be expected

If she isn't getting severely beat up (pictures of her injuries caused by Chunker would help determine that) , then leave them to it. From the looks of things Chunker is still reinforcing her new position so a few squabbles are to be expected
I would agree, but the bullying has been going on for weeks. Chunker’s been the lead hen for about two or three months.

Click here!
Screenshot_20230423_170406_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom