Hen being strange in nest area

DragunzGirl

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 9, 2008
GA
Ok I have a Hen that is broody and Im letting her sit on 8 eggs. Ok in the nest area there is 3 boxes and they are low to the ground. I have 3 Hens. Well my one hen is sitting on one nest with the eggs. One of my other hens keeps going in the area and digs allllll the hey out of the boxes and digs under the boxes and even will get on top of the one Hen and try her best to knock out all the eggs and hey under her.... WHAT is going on???? they are all my sweet hearts and im not getting rid of them.... BUT I would love to let my one girl hatch some eggs...

PS: they are not eggs from her, I got the eggs from a friend that has a rooster.

The one in the nest box is the broody one on some eggs. The black Turken Frizzle is the one digging all the hay out and digging all the stuff up under the boxes...

Last edited:
I don't know why she's doing it, except birds don't like change. Doesn't really matter, though. If you want the broody to hatch out eggs, sounds like you'll need to move her to a secluded location to brood where the problematic bird can't get to her.

We built some pens for our meat birds but we used one of these when our hen went broody and it really helped. We put this pen outside with a bunch of bedding in there and we put the hen and her eggs in a box inside this pen. We put food and water in there and the hen really loved it, She had everything to her self, we called it her maternity ward!

We only have our one big pen. No clue why she is doing this... We did not even want broody hens and the one went broody. SO we put eggs under her to let her just hatch some so she will get off of being broody. Not sure if that was the way to go but Im giving it another day and if she keeps doing that to the nest boxes Im just going to take the eggs out and put them in a bator..... and hope the broody one gets out of the broody stage...

Ok today I checked the nest out and I am only seeing 6 eggs!!!!! out of 8 that was under her Monday!... I have NO idea what happened to the two eggs. I looked and looked and looked all in the coop and run area... Could one of the 3 chickens ate the two eggs?

Wow that is intiguing. . One of the other girls could have taken an egg, if it was eatin by a chicken you would find egg shells somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom