Hen can’t lift neck after attacked by fox

Have you flushed out the wounds well and applied an antibiotic ointment? Pictures of any wounds would be helpful. Make sure you haven't missed any wounds hiding in feathers. She may have been squeezed or shaken, and is likely very, very sore. That she has survived this long is also a good sign. This may take some time. That she is drinking is good. Try giving some cooked or scrambled egg, canned tuna, even sometimes cat food will tempt them. If you still can't get her to eat, you may need to tube feed her until she's strong enough to eat on her own.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/
You may want to make a very liquid form of chicken food smoothie much more water than food but get her taking nutrition. Keep her calm and warm.

For some strange reason tonight after giving her some watered down/mashed up layers pellets for her dinner, I went to place her back down and all of a sudden she is collapsing backwards? She’s been able to stand up fine for the past few days and even earlier on today, but now I can’t get her to stand or lye down, she just keeps collapsing backwards. What is going on?

If you are giving Vitamin E and B-Complex daily, unlikely it's Thiamine (B1) deficiency.

Unfortunately it sounds like she's having more issues. Sometime when a bird has suffered trauma and they can become symptomatic from another illness. Marek's disease comes to mind.

I'd continue to work on hydration and getting food into her. Give the vitamins daily.

If you are giving Vitamin E and B-Complex daily, unlikely it's Thiamine (B1) deficiency.

Unfortunately it sounds like she's having more issues. Sometime when a bird has suffered trauma and they can become symptomatic from another illness. Marek's disease comes to mind.

I'd continue to work on hydration and getting food into her. Give the vitamins daily.
Ok thank you, but I don’t understand how she can just get Marek’s disease when she never had it before the fox attack? She never displayed any of the symptoms before the attack, she was a perfectly healthy happy hen so why all of a sudden she gets Markeks disease at the same time as the attack?

Ok thank you, but I don’t understand how she can just get Marek’s disease when she never had it before the fox attack? She never displayed any of the symptoms before the attack, she was a perfectly healthy happy hen so why all of a sudden she gets Markeks disease at the same time as the attack?
Could it be that the fox damaged a nerve, so she doesn't have the same coordination as before? No idea, just a thought. Were there any puncture wounds? If so - are they healing/ infected etc?

Hoping she makes a full recovery, poor thing xx

Back
Top Bottom