Hen cut down her side!

Welsy

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales, Australia
Hey guys. I went in this morning to treat one of my hens that had some pretty bad mites (putting Pestene on her) and found that she had a big cut down her side (approx. 2-3 inches long) and it seemed pretty serious - I put some iodine spray on and have separated her from the rest of the blue Australorps and placed her into a smaller pen by herself. I am worried it may get infected or possible flystrike. What do you suggest I do? I think that she may have got it from mating - the rooster has large spurs. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA

It does sound like rooster damage from mating. You may want to trim his nails and the points from his spurs. Some roosters are just clumsy breeders, and if this happens to more hens you may want to replace him. Such wounds are frequently subject to fly strike. Are you in an area where the weather makes that a possibility ? Wounds like this generally heal quite readily, but it will take time. You may want to periodically apply some antibacterial ointment. Good luck - she should be all right.

Oops, edited to say Welcome to BYC.

Hey guys. I went in this morning to treat one of my hens that had some pretty bad mites (putting Pestene on her) and found that she had a big cut down her side (approx. 2-3 inches long) and it seemed pretty serious - I put some iodine spray on and have separated her from the rest of the blue Australorps and placed her into a smaller pen by herself. I am worried it may get infected or possible flystrike. What do you suggest I do? I think that she may have got it from mating - the rooster has large spurs. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA
Welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures of it?

Thank you sourland and casportpony! Fly strike is defiantly a possibility, I live in a part of Australia that is very hot and humid (lots of flies!) What antibacterial ointment do you suggest? I have a young cockerel coming up (bought in a new bloodline) so I was going to replace the rooster anyway. I have attached some pics, thank you.
IMG_7382.JPG
IMG_7380.JPG
IMG_7381.JPG

What a lovely girl! :welcome

I agree, that wound is most likely from mating. You can apply something like plain Neosporin, Vetericyn or if the Iodine spray is what you have on hand that's probably o.k. I think I had another person from AU that used "Iodine" but it was similar to what we call Betadine(?) Sometimes depending on where you are in the world products can be called something different:)

Keeping watch on the wound for signs of flystrike is a very good idea. If you have a product like Swat fly ointment that is used on livestock you can use something like that to help repel flies - it would be applied around the wound, but not directly in the cut.

Hopefully you can get the mites under control as well. She seems quite alert and perky so just keep watch for signs of decline (lethargy, going off feed, etc.) that would indicate infection or become weak due to a parasite infestation.

I hope she recovers fully with no problems, keep us posted.

Hey there Welsy .. Welcome to BYC! I do wish the circumstances under which you join us were better.

Aaaw, poor beautiful baby, that does look sore.

Thank you Smuvers Farm for thinking of me. Sadly, wound management is not my forte and I will leave the treatment of the wound in the hands of the experts already offering advice.

What I will add though, is that I would definitely separate her, if you have not already. My ‘hospital crate’ is covered in fly wire. Either try that or do you have somewhere inside, fly free, like a screen enclosed patio, laundry etc where you could keep her away from the flies? Sadly, they are bad this time of year hey!

I would be reluctant to use ‘Aeorgard’ or ‘Off’ near the wound, so I believe the only way to keep the flies off is to put her somewhere they can not get to her until she has healed.

Good luck and please let us know how you go.

Ooooh, you could also try the Aussie Thread someone there might have an idea for fly management.

Back
Top Bottom