Hen died out of no where

Good, I'm glad you made space in your fridge. I was going to suggest you placing the body in a cooler if you had one.
If you live near one of the UC labs, you can probably drop off at just about anytime, call first of course. Otherwise, ship - this thread shows you how - it was written for general info, but Casportpony uses UC labs as well, so she has some info there that you might find useful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

I'm very sorry, I know it can be heartbreaking and frustrating to lose one that is special. Getting more information can help.
Sent her off to Davis labs today. Thanks for all your help. Used their fedex number and cost only $12.95 to overnight.
I’m anxious to see/hear the results of her sudden death.

We're all anxious to hear the results as well. You did the right thing.
There are literally dozens if not hundreds of possible causes. Just too many to speculate with no symptoms.
I haven't sent a bird for necropsy in a couple years but I still keep a box lined with insulation and freezer packs in the freezer on hand at all times for shipping.

Sorry for your loss, will be interested to hear the results. I didnt realise there are so many possibilities for illness until I read this thread and found an Aussie site: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agric...s/poultry/common-diseases-of-backyard-poultry
You never know what your chicken can have. And it’s more difficult because the don’t show any sign of weakness till it’s to late sometimes.
But it’s pretty cool to send them for exploratory reasons to Davis labs and may find the cause.
It’s hard when they become your pet and you start seeing all their different personalities and you start becoming attached.
Well... I’ll write an update hopefully next week with the results.

:hitSo sorry to hear this, can you put her on ice?
I refrigerated her after death and sent her off the Davis labs for necropsy. I’ll keep everyone posted with her results

Attachments

• 76B159FB-1CC4-4372-8AEB-9F7A7C78E40B.jpeg
    76B159FB-1CC4-4372-8AEB-9F7A7C78E40B.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom