Hen has gone broody again

BlueEyes51

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 17, 2014
Rough and Ready, California
I am wondering about my EE hen that has gone broody again. It's only been 12 weeks since she hatch some chicks. Is that normal? Can I let her go ahead and set on eggs again without stressing her too much?

I had a hen hatch chicks on June 19th and she just went broody 2 days ago and I'm going to let her hatch agai.
I worry about this hen tho, because she was never totally accepted back by the others when she was put back with the flock. She is kinda a loner now. And, she got pretty thin when she was setting before, I just worry if she will have enough stamina. I did let her raise the chicks until they were fully feathered also. To start setting so soon again tho... I didn't know they could do that. She's my current favorite hen and didn't want to stress her out unnecessarily. Thanks, Top Rooster.

I had one go broody within two months of hatching her first batch this summer. She raised her first ones for about 8 weeks. I trusted that it gave her a chance to rebuild her body fat enough for the second round. She did just fine. Unfortunately, she and her chicks were killed by a predator 3 days after they hatched.

If you worry about problems than just break her broodiness.
Top Rooster... I did that with two hens that went broody at the same time about a year and a half ago... I wasn't ready for them to set... and, they never went broody again. I really wanted at least one hen that would go broody so I am hesitant to do that to this hen... she is a such good mother too. I think I am going to put some eggs under her and just let her do her thing.
Thanks.:thumbsup

I had one go broody within two months of hatching her first batch this summer. She raised her first ones for about 8 weeks. I trusted that it gave her a chance to rebuild her body fat enough for the second round. She did just fine. Unfortunately, she and her chicks were killed by a predator 3 days after they hatched.
bobbi-j, this particular hen had 5 chicks and somehow a predator got in and killed-took 3 of the chicks about 3 days later. I was devastated to say the least! However, she was able to protect the two remaining chicks.

After that happened, I brought them inside every night for two weeks until I was able to build a very secure predator proof enclosure for them. Momma was not happy about the nightly routine but at least it saved her and the remaining chicks from that predator.

Back
Top Bottom