Hen has signs of rigor mortis but still warm?!

pepchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
Could this possibly be shock? Unresponsive and stiff, but quite warm! Found alive seconds or minutes after fox attack. Few visible injuries. Nothing to indicate internal injury (that I can see) so I suspect shock or heart attack. Limp including very limp neck, but I’ve found hens in that state before and they lived. After maybe 1-2 minutes after finding her and picking her up, she flapped around a bit then went totally limp. A half hour to forty min later, she is now very stiff BUT still very warm?!

I’m so sorry but from your description it doesn't sound like she’s alive. After death a body will cool slowly; could take a couple of hours or more depending on ambient temp.
:hugs

I’m so sorry but from your description it doesn't sound like she’s alive. After death a body will cool slowly; could take a couple of hours or more depending on ambient temp.
:hugs
Yeah, seems likely. I had a hard time finding any info on how long it takes a body covered in down to cool. I’m in denial because I found her alive. Appreciate you.

Rigor mortise can set in at various times, in my experience. Is she breathing? Is her beak open? It should be obvious if she is dead. Perhaps you discovered her just as she died. I’m sorry for your loss. I would make sure the other chickens are safely put up, since the fox could and probably will come back.

After you picked her up, when she thrashed around and then went totally limp, she was dead before she thrashed around - the thrashing is a sign that happens right after they die. Sounds like a heart attack to me, although I can't know for sure. At least she was with you and cuddled in your arms when she passed. So sorry you lost a beloved chicken!!!

I have funerals for my pet chickens, and I cry the whole time. You're not weird if you do that. Sending you supportive thoughts!

Rigor mortise can set in at various times, in my experience. Is she breathing? Is her beak open? It should be obvious if she is dead. Perhaps you discovered her just as she died. I’m sorry for your loss. I would make sure the other chickens are safely put up, since the fox could and probably will come back.
In hindsight… it is obvious that she died and I wasn’t accepting that ☹️ Thank you for your concern

After you picked her up, when she thrashed around and then went totally limp, she was dead before she thrashed around - the thrashing is a sign that happens right after they die. Sounds like a heart attack to me, although I can't know for sure. At least she was with you and cuddled in your arms when she passed. So sorry you lost a beloved chicken!!!

I have funerals for my pet chickens, and I cry the whole time. You're not weird if you do that. Sending you supportive thoughts!
This explanation helps a lot with the closure actually. Thank you for your kind words.

Back
Top Bottom