hen in recovery !

Atomic Rooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
East Central Mississippi
I was given a hen 4 days ago that had been attacked by a dog. The first 3 days it would only crawl around to feed . But this morning it was standing on its legs. When she tried to walk she had a very bad limp. But seeing how she is progressing alittle bit is a good sign. What about all you veterans out there give me some info that might aid this hen.

Does she have open wounds on her? I would inspect her closely to see if she has bite marks or tears, if so I would get her some antibiotic for her to put in her water. Keep her away from other chickens so she won't be bothered and give her lots of protein treats like: crickets, mealworms, eggs, and then give her some yogurt to help her tummy with the antibiotic. I would also try to give her some vitamins in her water as well to give her a little pick me up. Lots of protein promotes healing. I sure hope she keeps getting better. I just love it when we can rescue something and bring it back to good health. It is alot of work but the outcome is payment for me.

I have seen some remarkable recoveries. In my experience, if an injured animal lasts the night, there is a very good chance they'll make it. I had 2 hens get all the skin ripped off the back of their necks and both are just fine now. We just rinsed them daily for the first few days and then sprayed invisible bandage. The worse off one we took back in for a checkup 2 weeks later and rinsed and trimmed some scar tissue away. Chickens are survivors for sure!

Back
Top Bottom