Hen injured, what is the extent of the damage? *graphic pics*

NC_Quail

Would rather be gardening
Aug 28, 2021
Raleigh, North Carolina
0CC71C8D-7912-4F54-855A-DC17CDD5FF4F.jpeg
BE968AEA-6CF5-4535-8464-2428D797FFBA.jpeg
F7EA6CB2-E4F4-4C0B-9FD0-D0D3E6F9CA7B.jpeg

To make a long story short, our hens were attacked by something (my suspicion is the racoon that is stealing our trash) and this one disappeared for a few days before miraculously returning. She had been acting normal for the past few days, and I didn’t get the chance to pick her up until today. I discovered this gash just between her wing and neck. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about chicken anatomy to understand the extent of the damage, but there wasn’t any obvious blood (of course, it has been a few days). We put some spray vaseline on it, but we don’t know what else to do. Any input is appreciated.

Forgot to add, the last photo is of a strange black/brown clump I found on her breast, not far from the injury site. I assumed it was a scab or something.

also, photo (not of the hen mentioned) for reference of where the injury is located.
C6D81846-66D1-4BE7-9716-4E98A482F4CB.jpeg

Honestly it's kinda hard to tell in the photos but the location isn't a horrible one. Make sure her crop is ok. Also make sure she's eating and drinking and can use her wings. It doesn't look too bad to me but stitching it up wouldn't be bad either. Put some vetericyn spray on her. We also use bluecoat on bad wounds to keep bacteria out.

I'm not very knowledgeable, but I wouldn't advise stitching it up at this point. You would seal any bacteria in, which is not good. Keep an eye on her to make sure that it don't get infected, in which case you'll need antibiotics.

Honestly it's kinda hard to tell in the photos but the location isn't a horrible one. Make sure her crop is ok. Also make sure she's eating and drinking and can use her wings. It doesn't look too bad to me but stitching it up wouldn't be bad either. Put some vetericyn spray on her. We also use bluecoat on bad wounds to keep bacteria out.
She has been eating and drinking just fine as far as I can tell, but I will keep an eye on her. She had no trouble flapping, she beat me up when I tried to pull her out of a tree this evening :lol:. Can I get vetericyn on Amazon or should I look at tractor supply?

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm not very knowledgeable, but I wouldn't advise stitching it up at this point. You would seal any bacteria in, which is not good. Keep an eye on her to make sure that it don't get infected, in which case you'll need antibiotics.
what should I look for to determine if it is getting infected?

the idea of stitching makes me nervous, so I think I am going to wait on that anyway, unless the “experts” insist.

Do Not Stitch.

Looks like it's healing already.
What I'd do is swab the wound really well with Chlorhexidine. You can trim feathers from around the wound if they are crusty or getting into the wound.

A thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment can be applied to the wound after you swab it well.

Any odors? You would be able to detect if she's got infection. Doesn't look like it.

Do Not Stitch.

Looks like it's healing already.
What I'd do is swab the wound really well with Chlorhexidine. You can trim feathers from around the wound if they are crusty or getting into the wound.

A thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment can be applied to the wound after you swab it well.

Any odors? You would be able to detect if she's got infection. Doesn't look like it.
No odors

Back
Top Bottom