Hen laying in the snow and lethargic

uusparrowuu

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2022
One of my ISA brown hens about 7 months old had been laying in the snow and all puffed up, eyes were open when I picked her up and brought her inside. The rest of her sisters were fine, hanging out in or under the coop where there is no snow. She didn’t perk up when I refilled the feeders and waterer like the rest of the girls. I brought her inside to warm up in a bin with a warm towel, and her eyes are now closed. For a few seconds when I placed her she seemed to ‘lick’ the air a few times. I’m not sure how to help her. I don’t think she’s eggbound, I collected the usual number of eggs this morning.

She’s not unconscious, she’ll open her eyes and look around if I nudge her. Breathing is slow and deep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 11
Can you try to feed her some water with a tsp of sugar per 8 ounce cup held right up to her beak? Dip her beak to give her the hint. Could she have been injured? Is she pooping? Is her crop empty or full? Will she stand if you lift her up?

Can you try to feed her some water with a tsp of sugar per 8 ounce cup held right up to her beak? Dip her beak to give her the hint. Could she have been injured? Is she pooping? Is her crop empty or full? Will she stand if you lift her up?
Yes I was about to edit my post. I gave her sugar water and felt her crop when I brought her inside. She drink a fair amount when I dipped her beak. Her crop has some food but is soft and malleable. The girls get layer mash. When I lift her she does not try to hold herself up. She won’t bear any of her weight. Her legs feel fine, no swelling or otherwise noticeable breaks.

She hasn’t pooped since I brought her inside a half hour ago. Her vent is a normal color. I can lift her tail for her but otherwise she is limp.

What is the temperature? Did she look normal when you let them out of the coop this am? Are both legs limp? Could she have eaten something moldy, or poisonous? I would mix some chicken feed with a lot of water, and offer that and plain water or electrolytes several times a day. You can try to rule out egg binding if you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent 2 inches. What state are you in?

What is the temperature? Did she look normal when you let them out of the coop this am? Are both legs limp? Could she have eaten something moldy, or poisonous? I would mix some chicken feed with a lot of water, and offer that and plain water or electrolytes several times a day. You can try to rule out egg binding if you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent 2 inches. What state are you in?
She ate her mash this morning as usual. I mix the layer mash with warm water in the mornings now that it’s snowing. I doubt she’s eaten anything besides the mash bc everything is under a blanket of snow right now. I’m in upstate NY. Her gurgling and panting is getting worse by the minute.

She ate her mash this morning as usual. I mix the layer mash with warm water in the mornings now that it’s snowing. I doubt she’s eaten anything besides the mash bc everything is under a blanket of snow right now. I’m in upstate NY. Her gurgling and panting is getting worse by the minute.
Her toes are now curling, a new symptom and I’m incredibly concerned she’s in a lot of pain.

Another update- with gloves and KY jelly, checked for egg or shell fragments. No egg and no shell fragments, but a lot of fluid. Could she be stuck with a shell-less egg?

She pushed out a bit of clear watery fluid from her cloaca. There’s still more in there. Should I drain it? What is it? It is not egg white consistency, it’s watery.

Back
Top Bottom