Hen lays more than one eggs in a day

ScottKelly1974

Songster
May 6, 2016
Colorado
Today my Lavender Orpington layed two eggs. I have 9 hens (11.5 months old) and watched them. This morning there are 6 eggs laid. I was hoping the last three would lay eggs. This would be, and did happen, to be the first time all my hens laid eggs in the same day. The two eggs at the end come from the same hen. She is the only one who lays these small eggs.

Has anyone ever had a hen lay more than one egg in a day?
IMG_2385.JPG

Today my Lavender Orpington layed two eggs. I have 9 hens (11.5 months old) and watched them. This morning there are 6 eggs laid. I was hoping the last three would lay eggs. This would be, and did happen, to be the first time all my hens laid eggs in the same day. The two eggs at the end come from the same hen. She is the only one who lays these small eggs.

Has anyone ever had a hen lay more than one egg in a day?
View attachment 1812065
Yes, but the second egg is usually a soft shell egg followed by no egg the next day.

I've seen no shell eggs before. Both of these eggs seem fine.
It can happen. When I was a youngster my great uncle had a leghorn hen that laid two eggs a day, every day. She laid her eggs about 12 hours apart. Unfortunately they did not know which hen it was until after they ate her and never did get another 2 egg a day layer.

I have a Silkie x Red Sex Link pullet who laid 2 eggs in one day. She is my only brown egg layer and had laid her first egg 2 days prior. I checked the coop for eggs Saturday evening and she hadn’t laid. Sunday morning their were 2 brown eggs under the roosts.
086F3D5A-4A96-4364-ABA5-4C8CEC4EB438.jpeg
3AA72FF7-2126-4475-AFA8-70ACFA7A3C3A.jpeg

Just to add to this thread, one of mine laid 2 eggs today. One this morning and another later in the evening, and as already said the second egg was a very soft shell.
It stayed in one piece till I got it in the house then I broke it open in to a dish, the egg inside looks fine.
So maybe no egg off her tomorrow, we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom