Hen not allowed back in the group

Carm Jean

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2023
Has anyone ever had a Rooster not allow a Hen back in the group. I have keep her separated since the rooster started attaching her. He has bit into her neck on several occasions. I have her on my fenced back patio, but every so often she trys
to re-enter the group by flying over the fence. He will not let her eat, and if she gets near the other hens he chases and when she submits he pulls her neck and head feathers out and bits and brings blood. So we have to start the healing process all over.
I have not idea what I'm supposed to do at this point. Wait longer? I just hate keeping her in a dog cage all the time. But if I let her out she try's to get back to the flock.

I have no experience with roosters, as I live in the city. Is he only mean to her or others & people too? I think I would not keep him or at least separate him instead of the hen. Good luck with deciding.

I have no experience with roosters, as I live in the city. Is he only mean to her or others & people too? I think I would not keep him or at least separate him instead of the hen. Good luck with deciding.
He is just mean to her. She left the protected area by flying out when I was not out side. She wanted to go to the nesting boxes I think to lay a egg. But when she came out he tore her neck open to the bone. She will never have feather on the back of her neck again because he to a quarter size outer layer of skin off. It horrible. She is not back in the cage and will be there till I see signs of her perking up again. I don't think he will ever accept her back in the group again.

Has anyone ever had a Rooster not allow a Hen back in the group. I have keep her separated since the rooster started attaching her. He has bit into her neck on several occasions. I have her on my fenced back patio, but every so often she trys
to re-enter the group by flying over the fence. He will not let her eat, and if she gets near the other hens he chases and when she submits he pulls her neck and head feathers out and bits and brings blood. So we have to start the healing process all over.
I have not idea what I'm supposed to do at this point. Wait longer? I just hate keeping her in a dog cage all the time. But if I let her out she try's to get back to the flock.
She's no long counted as part of the group. You'll probably have to get her a group of her own.

Back
Top Bottom