Hen not Laying and Suddenly Aggressive

roxanne_debris55

Hatching
Aug 17, 2022
Hello all!
I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out what's going on with my 4-year-old Ameracauna, Belle.
For context, she is one of three backyard hens, the other two being Dominiques. Unfortunately, this past winter, our Australorp and other Americauna passed away, which may be contributing to Belle's condition as she and Frankie (very much a gentle giant) were quite attached to one another. We had some issues this Spring with the other girls picking on her, but they seem to have worked it out and things have been pretty peaceful lately.

However, Belle hasn't laid a single egg this year, which seemed strange to me considering the other girls have been full steam ahead and they're all still pretty young. On top of that, she's turned unusually aggressive and skittish over the past month or so, charging at me if I get too close, etc.
I'll admit, I've always kind of babied her, so normal behavior is her running up and "sitting" at my feet until I pick her up.

I had been away for school so I was thinking maybe she just doesn't recognize me, but I've been home since May and this is a relatively recent development.

If anyone has any ideas or any questions please let me know- I'll attach a pic of her below

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Hello all!
I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out what's going on with my 4-year-old Ameracauna, Belle.
For context, she is one of three backyard hens, the other two being Dominiques. Unfortunately, this past winter, our Australorp and other Americauna passed away, which may be contributing to Belle's condition as she and Frankie (very much a gentle giant) were quite attached to one another. We had some issues this Spring with the other girls picking on her, but they seem to have worked it out and things have been pretty peaceful lately.

However, Belle hasn't laid a single egg this year, which seemed strange to me considering the other girls have been full steam ahead and they're all still pretty young. On top of that, she's turned unusually aggressive and skittish over the past month or so, charging at me if I get too close, etc.
I'll admit, I've always kind of babied her, so normal behavior is her running up and "sitting" at my feet until I pick her up.

I had been away for school so I was thinking maybe she just doesn't recognize me, but I've been home since May and this is a relatively recent development.

If anyone has any ideas or any questions please let me know- I'll attach a pic of her below
She doesn't look so good. When was the last time she molted? And have you looked her over for mites/lice? Her feathers are broken and worn. Maybe she's getting picked on?

Back
Top Bottom