themidnightmama

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 3, 2014
I have a 2-month-old white leghorn hen who is not putting any weight on her legs. It started about a week ago, when I noticed she was not putting weight on one leg. I brought her inside to watch her. I ruled out bumble foot since I see no evidence. My next thought was a possible injury, and I expected her to improve in a few days. Now it has been over a week and the problem seems to have spread to both legs. She lays on her side with both legs straight out, toes gathered together in a point. I am able to bend the legs at the joints and I do not notice any signs of injury.

She is eating and drinking normally. I am giving her vitamin-enriched water and starter feed with a few mealworms here and there.

Based on the research I've done, my best guess is either Merek's or a vitamin deficiency. My question is, what should I change in terms of how I am caring for her? Am I on the right track, or could this be something else and I am way off? My current plan is to continue caring for her in isolation and watch for her to improve or worsen.

I have a 2-month-old white leghorn hen who is not putting any weight on her legs. It started about a week ago, when I noticed she was not putting weight on one leg. I brought her inside to watch her. I ruled out bumble foot since I see no evidence. My next thought was a possible injury, and I expected her to improve in a few days. Now it has been over a week and the problem seems to have spread to both legs. She lays on her side with both legs straight out, toes gathered together in a point. I am able to bend the legs at the joints and I do not notice any signs of injury.

She is eating and drinking normally. I am giving her vitamin-enriched water and starter feed with a few mealworms here and there.

Based on the research I've done, my best guess is either Merek's or a vitamin deficiency. My question is, what should I change in terms of how I am caring for her? Am I on the right track, or could this be something else and I am way off? My current plan is to continue caring for her in isolation and watch for her to improve or worsen.

Someone else may have a much better handle on that but I have seen sprains that have produced some stiffness but not like as you describe.
If it's moving I would definitely isolate her for at least a few days.
Watch your remaining chickens for signs of anything odd.
Be careful not to overreact and start changing things because you may change a reaction that may send you in left field.
Isolation, their own water, own feed dish, dark and quiet.
I raise a few, about 50 spoiled kids and I've seen viral wipeouts.
A thought, check the chicken's back. A hard rooster or a good fight maybe.

Unfortunately, Mareks disease might be a possibility. I would continue the vitamins which should include riboflavin (vitamin B2) for at least 2 weeks, and make sure that she can reasch food and water. A chicken sling or a large nest can be helpful to get her up and supported in front of food and water. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is some information about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom