Hen or Rooster? Buff Cochin chick.

annewandering

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Idaho
Is this freebie chick from McMurray a hen? I am hoping it is a rooster, which I figured it was since it was the free chick.

Here is a better photo of her/him but about a week earlier.

So much for the idea that freebies are male! lol. oh well I ordered another female since this one is so pretty. :D Was kinda hoping for a pair but guess that will wait.

it's extremely hard to tell. I also got a buff Cochin as my free chick. I thought it was a rooster (as everyone said they give roosters) now at 4 months i still cAnt tell. Iv read everything about it that I can find. what Iv found to look for is a nob/spike on the foot and longer neck and tail feathers. show first. can't go by the crown till over a year as hens also have larger crown but color can tell pale pinkish a hen! dark red a rooster though from what I understand not always true.

I'm believing mines a hen intill I learn other wise. though I hope it's a rooster!!! I have barred rock hens so I could make a hybrid barred buff fluffy featherd chickens.

the feather feet are dominate so chicks will have feathered feet just may not be as fluffy. based on all the help Iv got.

there's a page hen or rooster that shows what to look for. :)

Back
Top Bottom