Kristen Krash

Hatching
Jan 3, 2021
Hi folks,
Glad to be here and just wanted to share the miraculous recovery of our hen Cleo.
I explain the story in the video but a few things I didn't mention that I want to clarify:

1. After her bumblefoot surgery, she seemed ok, but then she stopped laying and her whole body swelled up, especially her abdomen.
2. A few days later, she pooped out what looked like a poached egg. So Im fairly certain that while I was holding her to perform the foot operation, she laid internally and the swelling was an immune response to the yolk in her abdomen. (Egg peritonitis)
3. She was very sick, bu since she had never laid internally before, I had hope she would respond to antibiotics.
4. I gave her five shots, 40mg every 12 hours, of oxytetracycline. I live in Ecuador and fortunately am allowed to buy animal medications without a vet prescription. No vet here is going to prescribe for a chicken!
5. The shots were almost immediate effective. I don't think chicks should be overdosed with antibiotics, but this saved her life.
6. She also went into a brief molt after the worst of the illness passed, which I believe helped her body to recover.
7. Three to four weeks after her near-death, she returned to laying normally. A few weeks ago, she returned to the coop.

I'm sharing this because I know a lot of people here really care about their chooks. If they get sick, but can still eat and stay in their surroundings, they have a chance. I would advise not waiting too long to give them the proper medication. Research and act and you might be able to save your chick before it's too late. Cleo is living proof.

A few days later, she pooped out what looked like a poached egg. So Im fairly certain that while I was holding her to perform the foot operation, she laid internally and the swelling was an immune response to the yolk in her abdomen. (Egg peritonitis)
Thank you for sharing!
Did you happen to get some photos of the poached egg?
Could have been a lash egg(?) which is salpingitis that is an inflammation of the oviduct.
Some hens can recover for a while if they have salpingitis, have peritonitis or other reproductive issues.
I'm glad she is doing so well!

Thank you for sharing!
Did you happen to get some photos of the poached egg?
Could have been a lash egg(?) which is salpingitis that is an inflammation of the oviduct.
Some hens can recover for a while if they have salpingitis, have peritonitis or other reproductive issues.
I'm glad she is doing so well!
It wasnt a lash egg. It was of a more of a perfectly cooked egg yolk. Like the fever from the infection had cooked it... thank.you for your comment. She is doing great and we're so happy for her.

Back
Top Bottom