hen standing like a penguin?

blueberrychickens

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hudson, MA
One of my hens, a 2+ yr old easter egger is standing like a penguin. She had stopped laying eggs over the summer, so I'm not thinking that she could be egg bound. When I picked her up she doesn't feel squishy in the abdomen like if she had acites , I don't feel any eggs as if she were to be egg bound. Not really sure what could be going on. When I feed treats she is always the first at the door for treats & when she just stood there, I knew something was wrong w her. Her vent is kinda crusty from poop but its not blocked or anything like that. Her crop was pretty empty too.
Help please!

I agree that she could be eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water and gently massage her underside from front to rear for about 20 minutes. Hopefully she'll lay the stuck egg. Repeat soaking as necessary.

I found the egg she laid this am on the poop board, it was broken due to a weak shell, but at least she passed it ok. She's been back to her old self, so hopefully she's in the clear. I will continue to monitor her in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom