Hen Swallowed a Button with thread Attached

DaisyBuff

Crowing
Oct 15, 2020
Georgia
I have a 11 month old hen named Hailey that swallowed a button with thread attached to it. She is a Rhode Island Red. I felt the button in her throat. At the same time, I noticed her crop was hard and swollen. It was early in the morning and her crop should have been empty. Now she is acting fine, but I do not want any internal issues with her. The Button was about the size of a penny or maybe even larger! I am surprised that she could even swallow it! Her crop is not emptying. I am concerned that she is getting input, but no output. I am keeping her off of food right now, is this the right thing to do?

Last edited:
I do not want the thread to get wrapped around her internal organs. The button was quite large. I just hope she will be okay.

Give your hen mineral or vegetable oil to help lubricate and pass the button (& string). Mineral oil will also help loosen an impacted crop. Passing the button itself shouldnt be a problem, especiallly if the button is plastic and not metal. The string Might cause a problem, depending on how long it is. I believe food exits a chicken's digestive system within 24 hours. A foreign object may take longer. If your hen "poops" the button but u see string still inside her vent, do Not pull on the string, as doing so could injure her digestive system. Keep an eye on her for the next couple days.
Hopefully u will find the button and string in her poop. If she acts listless, puffed up or inactive, post again on this thread or make a new thread addressing your latest concerns. Odds are in her favor that she will be ok.

Give your hen mineral or vegetable oil to help lubricate and pass the button (& string). Mineral oil will also help loosen an impacted crop. Passing the button itself shouldnt be a problem, especiallly if the button is plastic and not metal. The string Might cause a problem, depending on how long it is. I believe food exits a chicken's digestive system within 24 hours. A foreign object may take longer. If your hen "poops" the button but u see string still inside her vent, do Not pull on the string, as doing so could injure her digestive system. Keep an eye on her for the next couple days.
Hopefully u will find the button and string in her poop. If she acts listless, puffed up or inactive, post again on this thread or make a new thread addressing your latest concerns. Odds are in her favor that she will be ok.
Thank you for the help. I will try that.

Thank you! Hailey could not of did it without your help! I was just wanting to know if it was in her favor of surviving! I tried the vegetable oil and mineral oil daily. Her crop Is still impacted and swollen though.
Can we get an update on how Hailey is doing? Is she still impacted or doing okay?

Back
Top Bottom