Hen with intestinal blockage - Not sure what's best for her

flaphappy

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2016
Hi, I have a ~5 year old Brahma hen named Boba who I brought inside to treat for flystrike last weekend after noticing her all fluffed up in the yard by herself--I think my boyfriend posted a thread about her when it first happened so maybe someone has heard a little about her situation already. I've never dealt with that before and it was really scary. I brought her to the emergency vet to clean out most of the maggots and treat her wound and cleaned out the rest of the maggots myself the following day. No sign of any maggots since then so I think she's all clear as far as that goes. I've been treating her wound every day ever since and it seems to be doing alright.

She started eating a little bit again the next day and was particularly enthusiastic about her favorite treats (scratch, yogurt, banana, etc) so I was relieved she seemed so happy to eat again and pretty much gave her as much as she wanted of everything. However by the end of the day she had stopped eating again, was constantly adjusting her neck like she was choking? I was worried I blocked up her crop with all these treats so I started syringe feeding her olive oil with a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar every few hours along with massaging her crop. I only offered her wet mash for food with some grit ever since then and I take it away at night, but her crop is still full when I check on her first thing in the morning. It's not hard or doughy, it feels more like a water balloon. It's constantly full even though she's not eating. I've been syringe feeding her a little bit of watered down yogurt with 1ml of Nutridrench 3x/day ever since she stopped eating. She still drinks a little bit of water throughout the day. She stopped making choking motions after that first day.

I brought her to an avian vet after a couple of days of her not eating on her own to see what else might be going on with her, and they said they found a lump along her intestinal tract. They're not sure if it's just a blockage or something worse like a tumor. They said that they think this lump is what made her vulnerable to the flystrike by giving her runny poops (by blocking all the solids trying to pass through), and that this is why her crop is not emptying. They gave me an oral laxative (lactulose) and an intramuscular laxative (metaclopramide) that I give to her twice a day. They told me that the best I can do is keep giving her liquid nutrients and hope the laxatives improve her situation, and that if she doesn't improve by the time her meds run out then it must be a tumor and I'll have to put her down. Her poops went from a milky white liquid the day after the emergency vet to mostly greenish diarrhea with some solids in it, and today there have also been small poops that are either little drops of milky white liquid with no solids, or some greenish kinda solid tiny thin poops. She had ONE almost normal-looking poop this week and I got excited that she was improving, but I haven't seen that again since.

I'm just feeling really lost with this whole situation, she's my most sweet-tempered hen and my favorite. I keep misdiagnosing the situation on my own so I'm hoping I can get some advice. Has anyone dealt with an intestinal blockage in their chickens? Is it okay to keep making her drink the water/yogurt/Nutridrench combo when her crop seems so full? Are crop massages okay/helpful at all? The vet seems to think she had this blockage already by the time the flystrike hit, but could I have caused it by overfeeding her treats the day after the emergency vet? The avian vet also had me switch off of the 3x/day wound irrigation rinse/antibiotic and anti-inflammatory spray that the emergency vet gave to me for a once daily application of manuka honey--does anyone have any experience with that for wound healing? Is it a good sign that there are at least SOME solids in her poop? Is there anything else I can do to help my chicken and keep her more comfortable while she recovers? She is living inside until she gets better and mostly just sits or stands in place all day looking miserable. I feel so bad for her.

Hard to know if she's got a blockage, tumor, has a reproductive problem or something else going on.

Try treating for Sour Crop if the crop is filled with fluid. It may or may not help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Do you have updated photos of the wounds now?
Okay, I can start giving her miconazole just in case. Her breath doesn't smell at all though. Yes I just took some pictures of her wound, I'll post them in a bit.

Thread 'Flystrike too bad to save? (Graphic)' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flystrike-too-bad-to-save-graphic.1536509/

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm cheering for Boba to have a full recovery 💜 I just wanted to link the other post about her.
Thanks for linking that here, I hadn't gotten to read the replies myself yet. Thanks so much, I really hope she makes it through this. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post guys, sorry it turned into an essay, I'm just kinda freaking out about all of it.

Here's a picture of how her wound is currently doing. I have no idea how to gauge it myself, but the vet didn't say it looked bad. It's not red and it doesn't smell or anything. I'm also going to attach pictures of her two variety of poops right now (one is soaked into a puppy pad and might be hard to see)--it used to be watery diarrhea, but now it's mostly tiny milky drops and I'm worried it means she's not drinking enough water? I'm afraid to syringe feed her water because it seems like her crop gets too full very easily--I can barely get her medication and nutridrench down without her starting to gurgle by the end. I'm not sure what to do. She often breathes through her mouth too, is that from her crop feeling too full? Massaging it seems to help her stop mouth breathing but I'm not sure if her crop gets smaller at all, maybe a little.

Attachments

• 20220710_070837.jpg
    20220710_070837.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220710_071957.jpg
    20220710_071957.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220710_072020.jpg
    20220710_072020.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 14
The wound looks to be healing, if there's no odor, then I would continue to treat it as you are.

The abdomen is distended, so she may have a reproductive problem like Cancer, tumors, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. which can be common in laying hens. This may be part of the reason the crop is slow to empty as well.
Inflammation can make the system just slow down. The crop problem is a symptom.

Hopefully you can pull her through this, but if the vet is seeing a blockage, then she may not be able to recover.
If you do lose her and want to find out more, then have a necropsy through your state lab or if you feel you can do your own informal one, do it yourself. Take a look at what the blockage consisted of and what's in the abdomen causing the bulge. It's not for everyone, but it can be a learning experience.
You can find your state lab here https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The wound looks to be healing, if there's no odor, then I would continue to treat it as you are.

The abdomen is distended, so she may have a reproductive problem like Cancer, tumors, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. which can be common in laying hens. This may be part of the reason the crop is slow to empty as well.
Inflammation can make the system just slow down. The crop problem is a symptom.

Hopefully you can pull her through this, but if the vet is seeing a blockage, then she may not be able to recover.
If you do lose her and want to find out more, then have a necropsy through your state lab or if you feel you can do your own informal one, do it yourself. Take a look at what the blockage consisted of and what's in the abdomen causing the bulge. It's not for everyone, but it can be a learning experience.
You can find your state lab here https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Really tough to hear but I really appreciate your input. Is there anything that can be done to help her with inflammation? Because yes, it seems like her crop is moving, but very veeery slowly. She hadn't been eating over the past couple of days, and then today her crop finally seemed to be a bit smaller and she started eating some of her mash and drinking a lot of water, and now it's super full again and she seems very uncomfortable.

Thank you for the necropsy suggestion, it sounds like a good way to at least get some closure if she doesn't make it through this.

Back
Top Bottom