Henhouse, 99% done (lots of pics!)

MTchick

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Western Montana
The henhouse is now 99.5% done. I am really excited, as are my eight young hens. I've taken a bunch of photos today of the various features of the house to record the current status. This is a front shot of the henhouse with attached henport. You can almost see in this photo that there are 8 wingnuts and bolts holding the entire front of the henhouse in place (one is visible in the sunlight near the top left). This will allow us to take the entire front wall off once a year or so to do a big cleaning of the coop.
coopdone001.jpg

Close-up of nifty dual purpose door bar with eyebolts. Keeps the door bolted up, or very tightly down, depending on how you use it.
coopdone004.jpg

The front and rear walls have vent covers below the roof line that can be opened to allow a cross-breeze, or closed to retain heat in winter. These pictures show the front left side closed, then opened. You can tell the rear vent cover is open in the second picture (hence the bright rectangle of sunshine in the center of the photo). I'm short one hinge right now so that vent cover is still waiting to be completed.

coopdone002.jpg

coopdone003.jpg

The egg door is now fully integrated into the fencing of the chicken run, and weather stripped. We'll eventually put a nicer doorstop in than that piece of yellow string, of course.

coopdone005.jpg

coopdone006.jpg

The back of the henhouse opens up into the vegetable garden with a large "maintenance door" that we installed. This allows hubby and/or me to clean the henhouse out with easy access and adjust the inside of the henhouse if that becomes necessary. This also permits the hens to access the veggie garden if I so choose.
coopdone007.jpg

coopdone011.jpg

When I opened the door to take the picture, Mrs. Tweedy decided to visit me and you can see her in this photo- very curious pullet!
coopdone010.jpg

The food sled was a neat idea I had. I didn't want to have to lift heavy water or food buckets at a funny angle when they were under the chickenport. So I designed a little sled (complete with rounded runners and a slatted top) to allow me to easily slide the heavy stuff out from under the chickenport like a drawer. The open design prevents mold or other yuckiness from building up under the sled. Also, this elevates the water to prevent poo contamination! I haven't found the right size bucket for the food yet, so only the chick feeder is up there right now next to the waterer. Soon though, I hope to put about 20lbs of food on the sled, and about 15lbs of water. I hope the sled technology is as handy as I think it will be.

coopdone008.jpg

The only thing remaining is the anti-hawk netting I purchased on Ebay. Once it is installed over the top of my 5ft welded wire chicken pen (and I purchase one more of those pesky vent hinges!) I'll put the very final results up on this site. I also have a huge archive of the process of building the whole thing which I intend to submit on the coop pages.

P4110007.jpg

-MTchick

Wow!
clap.gif
The food/water sled idea is brilliant!
clap.gif

The coop is great, and definately belongs in the BYC coop pages!
yippiechickie.gif

BTW-- the view you have is beautiful!

Last edited:
Man that is an awesome set up
woot.gif

A lot of thought went into that project
smile.png

And it's looks 'Country'
cool.png

Beautiful Job!!!!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

She's a Barred Rock. That particular one is my most friendly, outgoing pullet. I have two Barred Rocks and they are both quite nice birds.

Thanks for all the compliments! We worked hard on this project and did a lot of planning ahead to making using, cleaning and enjoying the coop as easy as possible. Of course, I'm sure we'll need to make adjustments because we've never had chickens before!

I forgot to add that the entire project (lumber, hardware, roofing, siding, fencing, gates, bricks, posts, weatherstripping, pine shavings, chicks, food, feeder, waterer) is still under the $150 mark. We used recycled materials from a local non-profit, discarded materials found in the trash and alleys, and a lot of stuff we already had lying around from our extensive home renovations. Most of the cost came from the fencing, netting, and roofing.

-MTchick

MTchick...did you post the pics of how to build the coop on the site yet? I think that its an awesome coop and as I have not done mine yet I think i may have a crack at building one like yours. With all those cool features I was kinda expecting a picture of an elevator or a walk in wardrobe for the chickens or something!
pop.gif
clap.gif
:weee

oh yeah i meant to ask...in the summer wont the corrugated iron get REALLY hot? Im in Rochester NY and am not real sure about what materials to use to build the coop. Is it a better idea to do as you have done and put the coop INSIDE the run rather than outside of it?

Back
Top Bottom