hens eyes stuck shut and some have snotie noses. help!

Littlefox26

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Amelia VA
I'm not sure what to do, so come asking for help.

First hen showed up yesterday with eyes stuck shut and a snotie nose. In 24 hours I have had 3 more begin to show the same signs and another has died. I'm not sure the one who died had the same symptoms but she could have.
I have a flock of about 47 chickens, mix of breeds. They free range our property during the day and go up in the coop at night. I feed layer and a few handfuls of 5 grain scrach. I have electrolights to put in their water. Do I need to get antibiotics for them? Can I pick it up at a feed store to add to their water.

Yes it's probably coccidiosis or something similar but either way highly contagious! You can pick it up at a feed store and I believe it 2 tbsp per gallon? Dont quote me on that I don't have a box sitting next to me at the mo. If needed you can give then a drop or 2 directly by mouth

Be aware though disease in flock mean any survivors are carriers and can/may pass it on to any birds added at anypoint. You can get treatment to prevent and treat it though!

I'm not sure what to do, so come asking for help.

First hen showed up yesterday with eyes stuck shut and a snotie nose. In 24 hours I have had 3 more begin to show the same signs and another has died. I'm not sure the one who died had the same symptoms but she could have.
I have a flock of about 47 chickens, mix of breeds. They free range our property during the day and go up in the coop at night. I feed layer and a few handfuls of 5 grain scrach. I have electrolights to put in their water. Do I need to get antibiotics for them? Can I pick it up at a feed store to add to their water.
I'm sorry that you lost one and have more that are sick.
Seeking vet care is your very best option since you have multiple birds that are sick and it sounds like it's spreading rapidly.
If you have photos of the sick birds, that may be helpful.

Eyes stuck with mucous sounds like respiratory illness.
Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are common illnesses that chickens can get. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you lose another one, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab so you can find out what you are dealing with. http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals-animal-health-laboratory-services.shtml

You can try antibiotics to see if they respond. Injectable Tylan50 can be found at feed stores like Tractor Supply. Tylan50 can be given orally at a dose of .25ml per pound of weight 3 times a day for 5 days.

Tylan soluble powder or Tetracycline can be obtained from your vet, these can be used to treat a number of birds since it goes in the drinking water. Denagard can also be used to treat Mycoplasma, but you would need to order that online.
If the birds have a foul/rotten odor, then you may be dealing with Infectious Coryza - a sulfa drug like SMP-TMZ may be needed along with the Tylan to treat that.

For crusty shut eyes, try to get them open, use warm compresses to help loosen the mucous and flush the eyes with saline. Put Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes or in a pinch you can use plain Neosporin. IF they can't see too well, they won't be drinking or eating.

Do the best you can to keep them hydrated. You're other birds have already been exposed, but if need be separate out the sick ones so you can give them special care.

Birds that recover and those that have been exposed are considered carriers.
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, please keep us posted.

I'm no expert, but I have goats, and earlier this year they had some coccidiosis. The goats had snotty noses and their breathing was raspy. It definitely is contagious and spread throughout the whole herd in a month, killing one. I know I'm talking goats, and it's chickens you're worried about, but I would get them checked out by a vet.
we gave them some antibiotics (prescribed by a vet of course) and they got better pretty quickly.

remove any chickens that have the sickness from your coop/run so no more get infected. BEST OF LUCK!

With the stuck together eyes, you are probably dealing with MG. I would get some Tylan 50 injectable plus a few 3 ml syringes with 18 or 20 gauge needles at your feed store. The Tylan is given orally with the needle removed. Dosage is 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound of weight, 3 times a day for 5 days. Make sure they are drinking, and you may mix up some chicken feed with a lot of water for them to eat, which will get more water into them.
upload_2018-12-13_9-15-46.jpeg

I'm no expert, but I have goats, and earlier this year they had some coccidiosis. The goats had snotty noses and their breathing was raspy. It definitely is contagious and spread throughout the whole herd in a month, killing one. I know I'm talking goats, and it's chickens you're worried about, but I would get them checked out by a vet.
we gave them some antibiotics (prescribed by a vet of course) and they got better pretty quickly.

remove any chickens that have the sickness from your coop/run so no more get infected. BEST OF LUCK!

As far as I know Coccidiosis does not cause respiratory symptoms of swollen eyes or mucous from the nostrils, it is a protozoa that affects the intestinal tract.
Common symptoms of Coccidiosis overload in Poultry is lethargy, going off feed, loose stool with mucous or blood, loss of balance, a huddle up unkempt appearance and weight loss.
It can be common for a chicken to have more than one illness at the same time. A weak or immune compromised bird can easily have an overload of Coccidia while they are down with a respiratory disease.
More information about Coccidiosis In Poultry:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

I know nothing about Goats, so cannot really comment on Coccidia for them, but a quick read looks like an overload affects their intestinal tract as well, perhaps you have Coccidiosis (Coccidia protozoa) confused with Cocci/Coccus bacterial infection?https://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/coccidiosis/coccidiosis-of-goats

I'm sorry that you lost one and have more that are sick.
Seeking vet care is your very best option since you have multiple birds that are sick and it sounds like it's spreading rapidly.
If you have photos of the sick birds, that may be helpful.

Eyes stuck with mucous sounds like respiratory illness.
Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are common illnesses that chickens can get. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you lose another one, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab so you can find out what you are dealing with. http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals-animal-health-laboratory-services.shtml

You can try antibiotics to see if they respond. Injectable Tylan50 can be found at feed stores like Tractor Supply. Tylan50 can be given orally at a dose of .25ml per pound of weight 3 times a day for 5 days.

Tylan soluble powder or Tetracycline can be obtained from your vet, these can be used to treat a number of birds since it goes in the drinking water. Denagard can also be used to treat Mycoplasma, but you would need to order that online.
If the birds have a foul/rotten odor, then you may be dealing with Infectious Coryza - a sulfa drug like SMP-TMZ may be needed along with the Tylan to treat that.

For crusty shut eyes, try to get them open, use warm compresses to help loosen the mucous and flush the eyes with saline. Put Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes or in a pinch you can use plain Neosporin. IF they can't see too well, they won't be drinking or eating.

Do the best you can to keep them hydrated. You're other birds have already been exposed, but if need be separate out the sick ones so you can give them special care.

Birds that recover and those that have been exposed are considered carriers.
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, please keep us posted.

Thank you. I worked to get the eyes open on all that where stuck shut. Vet care for poultry doesn't really exist in this area though I will get in touch with a vet I am friends with to see if I can get the medication from her.

Thank you. I worked to get the eyes open on all that where stuck shut. Vet care for poultry doesn't really exist in this area though I will get in touch with a vet I am friends with to see if I can get the medication from her.
Hopefully your friend can source some medications for you. If not, then check Tractor Supply, they should carry the Tylan50 as mentioned in POST#6

Mine are on Lincomycin since I couldnt get tetracycline. A vet is definitely needed. I was too late and one died. The others are slowly responding to the Lincomycin. Might try denagard if this doesnt work, if anyone sees it online.

Back
Top Bottom