Hens lay fertile eggs without Rooster?

Thanks again cmon, I appreciate you advice on a subject I never thought I would be discussing, fertile eggs
wink.png

As a total novice, I wonder about the image I pasted, as compared to those you pasted. On the 'Fertile' egg image I pasted, as I mentioned before, the inner dot/period/circle is very defined, there is the one dot and then the one circle around it. Whereas on other fertile egg images, including the one you posted, that inner dot is less defined.

I am definitely not questioning, just trying to get a handle on what I am looking at.

Anyways, the next time I see it, the first thing I will do is take a picture!
smile.png

Last edited:
Next time you see an egg that looks fertile, take a picture. It would be interesting to see what you are seeing and seeing is believing. Don't get me wrong I believe in what your saying that it may have the appearance of being fertile to you but as I said it would be interesting to see.

I understand, but I'm a bird breeder of ducks chickens and quail, so I see it quite often. I just don't know how

Here's another thread started just the other day by TherryChicken that has some interesting discussion and examples in pics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944492/how-is-this-possible

I'm wondering if you DO have a roo, and see what you think are fertile yolks....maybe they are not actually fertile??!?!? The roo may not be mounting all the hens.

That could give you 'false' hatching rates! OyVey!

Sorry, adding a little bit more.

Unfortunately the bantam that laid the suspect egg is now broody and not laying. However, after much internet searching, I have found a picture of an egg which is reported as being fertile and looks exactly like what I saw in her egg; a little white dot inside and an outer white circle:

Not ever having had a rooster, fertile eggs is something I really did not pay a lot of attention to and only happened to notice this by chance.

Looking at lots of other fertile egg images, they appear to be slightly different to the above in that while the outer circle is obvious, the inner circle/period/dot is not as defined as it is in the above image.

In everyone's opinion, is the above image of a fertile egg?
Can I ask where you found this? Whoever posted it stole my image and removed my watermark.. Not cool

Sorry, adding a little bit more.

Unfortunately the bantam that laid the suspect egg is now broody and not laying. However, after much internet searching, I have found a picture of an egg which is reported as being fertile and looks exactly like what I saw in her egg; a little white dot inside and an outer white circle:

Not ever having had a rooster, fertile eggs is something I really did not pay a lot of attention to and only happened to notice this by chance.

Looking at lots of other fertile egg images, they appear to be slightly different to the above in that while the outer circle is obvious, the inner circle/period/dot is not as defined as it is in the above image.

In everyone's opinion, is the above image of a fertile egg?

It appears to me to be fertile.

Okay I have seen this myself now today. My mother has had the same chickens for 3 years no roosters. Today she brings me this "thing" partially developed egg. She found it with her other eggs. It had a thin membrane around it. Note: she collects eggs everyday.

Okay I have seen this myself now today. My mother has had the same chickens for 3 years no roosters. Today she brings me this "thing" partially developed egg. She found it with her other eggs. It had a thin membrane around it. Note: she collects eggs everyday.
That's not a partially developed egg.....it's what's called 'lash egg'.......google it.
Major reproductive system malfunction.

Back
Top Bottom