Hens losing feathers on back

peacemaam

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
Minot, ND
I've noticed the last few weeks my girls are losing more and more feathers on their backs.. I have 13 hens and one rooster and the are 8 months old. Some look just fine but it's mainly the Easter eggers that have it bad. Is this just from a "randy" young rooster or should I be concerned? I'm in ND were it's very cold. My coop doesn't have the greatest ventilation but the air is not moist, and there's a heat lamp for warmth. Poops are good. I just want to make sure they're okay because this girl has a bare back now and I'm praying the others don't start to peck her

These must be your roosters favorite ladies. You can find a chicken apron or saddle cover for them, its like a pot holder that covers their back when the roosters overly mate them. it will help protect her back and the feathers can grow back.

Could definitely be from the rooster, especially a young one like you have can be too rough at times. However, also check for mites as they are common during the cold weather and can also cause feather loss.

Back
Top Bottom