Hens making noise

saul r

Hatching
Jan 21, 2017
Hello,
Glad I found this site!
I live in Brooklyn NY and purchased 13 Buff Orpington's in August. They started making very loud noise as a group. And now they're at it evey morning at 5:30 and continue on and off till mid day.

My neighbors want me to get rid of them.

Anyone with (reasons and or)solutions?
I would hate to kill'em!!

Thanks a million.
P.S. Is there anyway I can upload a video of them?

Last edited:
I don't know how to upload video's but, people do it all the time. That would be the best way to see/hear what you are dealing with. But even photos could help. Hope I am wrong but, maybe you got stuck with all cockerels and no hens.

Hello,
Glad I found this site!
I live in Brooklyn NY and purchased 13 Buff Orpington's in August. They started making very loud noise as a group. And now they're at it evey morning at 5:30 and continue on and off till mid day.

My neighbors want me to get rid of them.

Anyone with (reasons and or)solutions?
I would hate to kill'em!!

Thanks a million.
P.S. Is there anyway I can upload a video of them?

The only way to upload a video is through YouTube
1f616.png
I had to sign up then upload your video to it, you're given a link that you put into the box that (BYC) asks for. Next to the picture icon there's video icon on the bar above, when you click it just follow instructions. Hope someday soon BYC makes uploading videos as simple as pictures.

Would you have pictures of your birds, head & body? Hopefully drumstick diva isn't right (all cockerels), that would really be horrible!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I've had noisy pullets in the past - they went in the pot. If you can identify the ring leaders, and get rid of those, it may dissuade the others from joining in
idunno.gif

Good luck
CT

Welcome! Hens do make noise, and if they are of laying age, they are likely making noise as part of the egg laying cackle. Either that or something is disturbing them. Some birds are more noisy than others though, so eliminating the worst offenders may help, but it may not.

welcome-byc.gif

If the neighbors are complaining about your flock, that's not a good situation. Are you allowed to have poultry according to the rules of your community?

Best wishes and good luck!

I don't know how to upload video's  but, people do it all the time.   That would be the best way to see/hear what you are dealing with.  But even photos could help.  Hope I am wrong but, maybe you got stuck with all cockerels and no hens.

G’Day from down under saul r
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am sorry you are facing this predicament.

My gals start up at 05:00AM because they are used to free ranging the garden and like to complain when they are locked up. I race out every morning as soon as I hear them and let them out; they are quiet as following that.

Great tips so far in that I would ensure you do not have some roosters in there and also that you are allowed to have chickens.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. The egg song is an acquired taste to some neighbors. Maybe give them eggs as a peace offering. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom