Hens or Roosters

barb s

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2013
Columbia City area
They are about 14 weeks old. And I believe that they are either Production Reds or Red Sex Links. I have looked at every picture I can find of both breeds along with pictures of RIR and NHR and to me they look like all 4 breeds. Thats why I dont know for sure what breed they are. But we got them at TSC so I'm pretty sure that they are PR's or RSL's. They are a medium to dark red with white on their tails and wings. Some have more white than others and one looks like it has white spots. I have stared and stared at them trying to figure out from they're feathers what sex they are, but the more I look the more I think they all look like roosters. So I'm not looking any more. Thanks to every one for any help anyone can give me.

#1 Rooster?

#2 Hen?

#3 Rooster?

#4 Hen?

#5 Rooster?

#7 Rooster?

#8 Rooster?

I will have to try to get some more tomorrow when I can get some one to help hold them or take the pictures while I hold them. That's the only way I know for sure I'm not taking pictures of the same chicken over and over. Plus its also the only I can get them to hold reasonably still.

I agree, full body shots will help. At taht age i woudl guess tehy are all hens. Theres some variation in comb size, but I think that's normal. Definitely is the case with my lot of pullets. But a full body shot, even of them as a group will allow us to see if anyones got the rooster tail or a Cocky stance!

I see a black laced gold wyandotte boy in there for sure. I want to say you've got all pullets so far with your reds, because of their very dull orange combs still.

Hehe I saw the wyndotte too, and was like ooh, you do have a roo in there! But for the red chickens, I still think they're all hens! I lkie the wyandotte roo too, he looks like he has furry dark eyebrows, he must be a serious lad!

Back
Top Bottom