Hens w/ respiratory issues and it's not in their lungs

Thank you for understanding.

What I'm coming to the conclusion is that there is so much we really don't know about chickens. I have to really wonder how many hens are killed by farmers who see them wheezing and think respiratory illness. When really, the wheezing was a result of some other issue.

So I really have to wonder how common this is that a hen shows respiratory distress when it's not her lungs at all. I think people are scared of all the lung conditions that chickens get. And rightfully so. And cull at the first sign of disease. But was it really a lung condition or something else?

Just keep an eye on them. I do think there is a wide range of "normal" with hens. Especially, across different breeds.

Our hens will live a MUCH better life than most hens. My husband said that to me as we were putting Sugar down. She led an amazing life. Was clean, loved, fed high quality food and hand fed treats EVERY DAY! She even got a bath and a blow dry once when she broke an egg and sat in it. She lived a way better life in her short 6 months than most hens ever will and that was something. And that really stayed with me.

I'm really sorry people were so rude to send you emails telling you how to spend your money:( Each of us must do what we feel we can for our birds and sometimes a visit to the vet is worth the peace of mind. Sometimes, not, but that's usually in hindsight. I think you are right that there is much that is not understood about backyard chickens - studies focus on commercial uses and these birds seldom live long enough to have a lot of health issues. A few deaths here and there are not a concern. There are some very interesting articles on the web about how the chicken's respiratory system functions and it taught me that their lungs are a lot more fragile than we realize. If you take into consideration the dust and dander they live with each day, it's a miracle any of them survive. I hope your hen continues to improve. I don't believe in culling at the first sign of illness either and if I think a vet can help, that's what I do.

Back
Top Bottom